Just a little cutting.... no shading yet

smays

really trying to get the picture taking thing down.... no light tent yet... just some close up filters. Figured I would have to be able to get some ok pic's before I could really get some help with everyting else. This was from a few months ago... as you can see the rust!!!

Shawn

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm probably least qualified to offer critique, but here tiz- your curves look very clean 1 looks to have just a tiny twitch in it. most. look like you have a very steady hand and a good eye for layout from what i see here. the lines don't look overcut. depth may be a bit inconsistent, but looks good.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn, this is very competently cut but lacking a little in 'flare'. Whilst at the practice stage don't be affraid to experiment. Try ocassionally rolling/flanging your graver slightly and cutting your lines from thin to thick by gradually increasing pressure as you cut. This will make your work more interesting. Engraving is like handwriting; if you use a ball point pen all lines are parallel but if you use a fountain pen you can really get some individuality and style into your pen strokes. The graver can (and does) work in exactly the same way.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks pretty good!

One tip on the photos is to try and get the plate square to the camera's lens - that way you don't have part of it out of focus.

Latest posts

Sponsors