Just finished

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just finished this for a friend of mine, Johnny Stout. It's the third knife I've done. The bolsters are double stainless ladder pattern damascus, I had to sand the damascus back down smooth, then re-etch the border after the engraving was done. Joe Mason does a lot of Johnny's knives and that's where I got the idea of the border on the damscus, Joe does beautiful work. He's another one that inspires me, Thanks for looking, Dwayne

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Dwayne, that is a beautiful box. I love the designing and application of the different colored woods. Oh, by the way the knife is pretty darn good too. :)....Ron S

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
I have to agree with Ron. You did a great job on the knife.
It however is almost overshadowed by the outstanding compostion of the picture in general.
Great presentation!
By the way what is the plant or tassel in the lower right corner?

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the nice comments. As far as the picture goes, that's all Johnny's doings, he's getting really good at taking pictures, getting his lighting right and using nice back drops and props. He's starting to do it for other people. I spent the weekend with him about a month ago and he showed me what he was doing, I haven't had the chance to play with the photo's much myself. As far as the damascus Joe, it wasn't hard at all, Sometimes we'll heat treat them but I don't usually for bolsters. I wanted for more of the pattern of the damascus to show than just a thin border, that's why I did the little island, for lack of a better term. I kicked around several different drawings and emailed them to Johnny for his decision, I told him if he'd get busy and make more knives we'd try the other patterns too. He's got one that he's sending me after the Blade show that has Meteorite bolsters on it that he's wanting me to do, not sure how that's going to cut. If any of you guys need a good photo taken of some of your work holler at Johnny, he's taking some sweet pictures. Thanks again for the comments and encouragement. Dwayne

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
Dwayne, I agree the damascus the Johnny uses is easy to cut, but it is very hard on high speed burrs. Guess it is cutting the two different metals together. Is part of the background not blacked close to the small screw? Inside the large loop. Could not figure out why it had a different texture.

Joe