leaf knife

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
Hi!
this is my last project..i hope you enjoy it and feel free to comment!
[/IMG]
Stefano

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
It's an inexpensive Ridge Runner Silver Leaf knife. The superb engraving significantly increased its value :thumbsup:.

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys!
I know, the knife is a modest 5 euro one..but it was a test for copper inlay! I dont feel confident to try with more expensive knives...
It is quite good to engrave, there is a lot of space, but the quality is not that good, infact there are very hard spots specially along the borders.
I have a question..usually at how many magnification do you engrave the outlines? Some times looks like too many magnification isnt a bounus, i tend to engrave too deep loosing control!?
Thanks again
Stefano

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't think the magnification is the problem with going too deep. That is usually a function of the size of the heel on the graver, and sometimes the matterial you are cutting. But to answer your question, I use up to 22X, but I scale back to whatever keeps the area I need to see in the field of view.

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks!
Maybe the heel is the problem..i tried to measure it under the scope and my heels are betwen 0,1 to 0,15 mm, i've readed that they usally are more than 0,2 mm and they should be barely visible...but if i made heels like those at my eyes are pefecly noticeable! I dont know if i have to belive to my eyes or at the caliber!!
Well it may be all dumb questions...infact i' ve never seen directly works from other engravers and could be that my cuts are at the right deep! Who knows!! :)
Stefano

Andrew Biggs

Hi Stefano

Yes, sometimes too much magnification can be a problem. Try zooming out a bit and see how you get on. That way you can get a better overview of what is happening with the cuts.

When you are cutting line borders or straight lines a longer heel length can be beneficial as it allows you more stability in the cut. Shorter heels are great for scroll cutting leaves etc etc. A good starting point for heel length is about 0.25mm or smaller.........it depends on what you are doing. For shading I keep mine very small.

If you feel that you are cutting too deep......watch your angle of attack when you first enter the work. This will determine the depth of the cut. Drop your wrist a bit more and be a bit more gently when starting the cut. This should result in a shallower cut........... Likewise if you want to make a really deep cut, raise your wrist and go hard.

Give them both a try and see what happens. It will feel strange at first but try it for a few minutes on a bit of scrap and see if it makes a difference for you.

You can buy casting of other engravers work. These are plastic casting of actual engravings...........it is well worth your while buying a couple to help you visualise things like depth of cut etc. You can buy them on the FEGA website here But be careful. Some engravers cut quite deep and others very shallow so there is no universal right or wrong of it.

Cheers
Andrew

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
Hy Andrew,
Thanks for your advice...I will try all your tips, and thinking about your 0,25 mm heel made me think that probably my 0,1 heel was too short to mantain a consistent width and depth cutting backbones and others main lines!
Thanks again
Stefano

Latest posts

Sponsors