Lindsay tools and forum

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Greetings to my friends here.

Steve Lindsay has asked me to Join Ray Cover as a moderater on Steve's Engraving forum.

He has also asked me to convey the fact that all engravers and interested persons are welcome. The forum was originally established for Lindsay AirGraver customers. A few months ago it was opened up and If you would like to join in on the discussions it doesn't matter if you own an AirGraver or not. If you are an engraver or you have interest in learning to engrave, you are welcome to join in whatever tool you own or wish to discuss.

Steve asked me to edit , delete, or eject anyone or anything that I find to be inapropriate, and he will give me his full support in these efforts.

I personally hope this will bring the engraving community and all of us who love this Art, a little closer together.

Your brother in steel, :)

Barry lee Hands

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Barry
A big thank you from the old ky. hillbilly,I,ve a lot of friends on the Lindsay forum and have a great respect for Steve as a person, engraver and tool maker..I used to comment on some of the theads, but got to thinking maybe i shouldn,t , because i didn,t own a lindsay airgraver, again Barry thank you for this invite...

jmcutting

Hey ya'll I am a beginner a true beginner... I have officially had my grs power-hone and magnablock as well as a variety of QC Hand Engravers for less than a week now. I have been on this forum and Steve's for over a month now. As a beginner I really have no loyalty to either and have found both forums to be extremely helpful in learning and gaining inspiration. So here's my 2cents...

In looking and reading at both forums the main thing that I have taken away from both is a true appreciation for what ya'll do. What I mean is the work that you produce whether it is a set of spurs, a hobo, knife, or whatever you may come up with... It all amazes me what you can do. As a newbie I look at the work and not what you used to do it. So I just want to say thanks to everyone that has posted their comments, pictures... and general thoughts because it has helped me so much. I have scratched on some practice plates and will post some pics here soon.

thanks,

-justin

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Justin, don't please be mislead that you have to have a 'brand loyalty' to participate on this forum. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Barry, it's good to hear that you are helping moderate the Lindsay forum. Good on you mate. The sooner everyone becomes a 'brother in steel' or gold or silver or ivory or whatever the better as far as I'm concerned :) Hopefully we can all put tool issues aside and get down to the real nitty gritty of what engraving is all about and that is cutting into a medium of some kind. Beginners and novices may like to find out what each system is capable of and what one engraver or another thinks of his/her particular system. But no matter how any of us feels about his/her tool we must never forget that they are only a means to an end and not an end in themselves. As an example, having recently sat in on Chris DeCamillis' bulino class I've started incorporating hand pushing bulino once again. I haven't done that for quite a while. Strangely enough, when cutting something like a bird or animal it's not actually all that much slower than using power. There seems to be such a hang up on which 'power' system we use that sometimes we forget that we should be using whatever works best for the job we are doing. This could be pushing, h&c, or power or a combination if the job calls for it.

Greetings from the UK Chapter of "Brothers in Steel" :D

Andrew Biggs

Hi Marcus

You make an interesting point there. When I do my scene work a lot of the shading type cuts are done by hand pushing the graver with no power on whatsoever. It's a very quick way to to fill an area and build up the layers of shading.

Cheers
Andrew

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marcus,
Rare is the time that I use power when pushing a bezel. I still use a hammer and punch.
The feel, in my mind is more accurate. That's not to say I don't use margin rollers. I think they beat out
power hammer because they also burnish. Using lower speed with a power hammer to get a hammered
finish effect beats out hand punches some times. I'd use a can opener if I could come up with new
texture.
Jim

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My good friend Marcus,

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

As you know I have always respected your opinions on engraving, tools, and even curry, hehe.
Having had the privelidge of seeing you at your bench I know your skills come from your experience and talent and that your opinions on tools are honest, valid and heartfelt.

The Bulino tool is a wonderful addition to the kit, and I use it often.

Give my regards to your family,

Your brother in steel,
Barry

Latest posts

Sponsors