Lindsays New Sharpening System

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks John,
Yes I still use the old style "standard" post on the power hone....but after using it since the early 80s, it's showin it's age...It is, like you say simple to do the square & flats.....
but I though i would upgrade some of my tools.....

I guess the real problem I have with this new dual angle sharpening fixture is.......
If i'm gonna pay $200. bucks for something like this.....I don't feel I should have to "wiggle" my tool in to get it set to sharpen. :(

I have no trouble sharpening my gravers to get them to do what "I" want/need them to do by eye-ball........Just thought this wizz-bang new fixture would save me some time and give my tired ol eyes a little rest. :)

It is a well made tool, and I can see the value for those that want to play with all the different angles ya can do with this thing......and i will no doubt use it ..just not for flats.

Rex...I have & use just about anything I can to cut what i need.
And my flats of choice are the ones Ray Phillips makes.......In fact, I like & use a lot of Rays stuff..Great tools, & a Great guy.... :)

I stil am getting one of Steve Lindsays setups..... :)

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
CJ,
I too have many of Rays flats and liners. They are great tools and he is a super guy. In fact I gave him the President's Award at this year's FEGA meeting for all of his years of service to engravers.
On his gravers I use the method much like KC Steve mentioned. I just use the collet or just chuck the round shank in the fixture and lay it flat on the stone/wheel. It only takes a second and I really don't know of a faster/easier/precise way to do with any kind of fixture. The dual angle fixture was designed to be as "universal" as possible but still be precise. Dealing with all shapes and styles of gravers requires a little deviation as the chuck was set mainly to deal with square gravers of various sizes.
I wasn't discouraging you from purchasing the Lindsay fixture, just advising you that it may or may not sharpen manufactured flats.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
As all these Masters have said there is time when you need to change degrees or do some inovation to the graver just to try something new... I have drilled another hole in Hamlers tool just to change an angle for an expeirment, didn't hurt the tool, but Steves system will give you the same for the 96-115-120 each time...
Steve's tool is so portable without having to have power, and the same with the PalmControl...
You can engrave while your wife is in the hospital having a baby while you wait in the waiting room, and also sharpen or touch up your graver...
I also have the GRS Power Hone and QC holders which is great to do flats and rounds before I put it in the
PalmControl...
As Sam said sometimes you need loosen it to rockit...
Just a Bit...
Jerry

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
Engraving while your wife is having a baby.You lucky guy.I had to be with my wife while she was having baby's just so she could have somebody to blame.even looking at tv was out.