Question: liners

delder

Elite Cafe Member
I see all these fine examples of the western style. I want to give it a try. I think I can handle the bright cuts, but any attempts at making a liner work for me have failed. Is there a radius that's placed on the liner and if so how is it done. Freehand or on the sharpening fixture?

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can buy them bent or bend them yourself. It is done by heating, bending and then tempering.

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, the face of the liner should have a radius( I use approx 1") and you can buy liners that are already bent. Check GRS..they have a few.
Jerry

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
looking down on the very front, or leading edge-- the cutting edge of the liner- there should be a gentle curve put there. that is from the left front edge over to the right front edge. this is best done holding the graver shaft vertically, and sweeping the front cutting edge thru a gentle arc on your stone. after which proceed to finish sharpening in regular fashion. the radius needs done only every now and then. the gentle curve allows the cut to proceed as if there were no sharp corners to interfere. this requires only a little practice to get the hang of it.

Latest posts

Sponsors