Lost -missing-stolen knife

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
should have sent it DHL right Kent?

naw, it could happen to any of the shippers. Fantastic work with a fascinating theme Ray. Of course we expect nothing less from you, tis a shame it has gone missing. It probably will surface sooner or later in some fashion. I had a floorplate with gold inlaid cape buff I did years ago, same thing, box was tore, actually was in the box with the rest of the unassembled gun on its way to be blued. About 8 years later I got a call from a guy asking about it, since it had my sig on it. I told him the story, he got really funny acting said he had to go, and I never heard from him again.

More constructively, there is a FedEx purgatory, where missing stuff like this ends up I am sure it is in Memphis, (UPS has one in Vegas I think) since you have good pictures, you can make a real nuisance of yourself with them if you can get the phone number. I was able to recover a missing gun sign from UPS this way once.

Actually, Scott, I prefer the (BBT) big brown truck for my shipping duties.:D
bet that knife will show up at a show when the one in possesion tries to off load it.
Kent

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I've recently had a need to ship some gold and diamonds to a jeweler in Indiana. Is this something that registered mail should be used for? Is tripple boxing also the answer?

kristin

I've recently had a need to ship some gold and diamonds to a jeweler in Indiana. Is this something that registered mail should be used for? Is tripple boxing also the answer?

At our office it depends on the value of the package, and when the stone is needed. Our insurance covers different amounts for fed ex and the post office.
We haven't ever had something "lost" in registered mail, and since we started using express mail, nothing has been lost either. We haven't had a fed ex issue in a long time. We triple box everything except registered mail, and each box has shipping address and tracking # on it.
The reason we write the info on each box is when a package is missing, the first thing fed ex asks is what's in the box because they may have to open boxes that loose the outside shipping label. This way we can say "a box with the shipping info and tracking #, and inside that another box w/ the shipping and tracking info" instead of saying diamonds are in the box.

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, was the package addressed to Rob or Elite Custom knives? Wonder if there was a signal on the label of what was in the box. Sorry this has happen.

Joe

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a good point Joe when we ship something we do not put jewelry or diamonds or anything like that on the label. Only a name. I get diamonds from NY and sometimes the return address will say printing company, graphics, or just someones name.
Mike

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All,
I was going through the archives to look at post about the 2007 Reno show. I ran across
this thread again. It still annoys me that this happen. Please have a good look at this knife.
I keep it in the back of my mind when looking at knife shows. We have quite a few new
members and this means more people looking for Ray's knife. Call the police and then
contact Ray or the forum.

Thanks,
Jim

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I send my stuff registered mail too. Haven't lost anything yet. I thought I came close shipping a box to the hotel this year to Reno, but it got there finally at the last minute. Had to keep on them to run it down.

Question: What do you get when you put Fedex and UPS together?

Answer: Fed-up!!!!

Ron S

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this can get tricky: if you are known in your area for what you do, eventually the people handling items that you send and receive soon learn what's in those little boxes. what is on your shipping label ? flaming fancy stuff ? if it's fancy, change to plain ole ugly brown labels. attracts less attention. perhaps even try a phony name to attract less attention to what may be inside the box. "r.c. valve stem packing co" sounds good.