Medieval Monier

Hello,

I mess around making medieval style coins. I'm pretty new to all this. I subscribed to this forum to try to learn more about engraving. And it has worked. Here are some of my more recent attempts.

Attachments

• coins-obs.jpg
    coins-obs.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 112
  • coins-rev.jpg
    coins-rev.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 134

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for showing us your great coins, maybe you could tell us a little about your tools you use and how you got into making medieval coins.

I belong to a medieval re-enactment group called the Society for Creative Anachronisms (www.sca.org) and have messed about with a variety medievalesque metal working activities. A couple of years ago I got some instruction on coin making and away I went.

I attempt to use medieval techniques and styles on the coins. At least far as my knowledge and talents allow. I especially like 13th century coins from the crusader states. The big coin in the picture is inspired by gros tournais of 13th century Tripoli and the odd helmeted guy is inspired by a 13th century denier of Antioch. The profiled head is a inspired by a 9th century Hiberno-Norse copy of a 9th century anglo-saxon coin.

I've been making my dies from 1" diameter cold rolled 1018 steel. But have recently started using 8620 and heat treating it. So that I have a softer surfasce to work on, and then a hard surface for striking. Most runs of coins are fairly small. Around 300 or 400 for a die set. I've done one run of 2000 and in the next month strike about 800 with the Tripoli die. Most of the design elements are punched into the die face. Using fairly small punches. For a sense of scale, the big coin in the picture is about 1" in diameter and the others are 3/4" in diameter. I make most of my punches from o-1 with files and sometimes a graver. I do cheat and use center punches from the store and occasional a nail set. Nail sets are more perfect circles then I've been able to make for myself. I have strated doing small amounts of engraving. Mostly simple lines that just don't lend themselves to being punched.

I make my own blanks. I'm a scrap hound when it comes to coin material. I have struck pewter, copper, silver, aluminium, brass (yuck), and a couple of gold. For the most part I cut blanks using an arch punch and a hammer. medieval coins were quite thin so that works well and is quick. I've also cut blanks using a scribed circle and a snips. Very medieval and very tedious. I've cheated and used a a Roper-Whitney #20 as well. Mainly to cut copper blanks from plumbing pipe.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Sca

I thought your name looked familiar, you invited me to the North Shield moneyer yahoo group a while back. I like your Bohemund IV/V piece, I've always liked the style of the knight's helmet. Isn't there an SCA event coming up in the Milwaukee area? That is one I could make it to, with tools. If I have time to make a stand, I might even be able to bring my small screw press. let me know.

Joe Paonessa