Help, please: Microscope eye cups

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I have recently purchased a Meiji scope with Acrobat stand. My problem is with the rubber eye cups that come with the scope. When I have the scope focused properly and have a nice sharp round edge on the field of view the rubber eyecups press on the sides of my nose a bit. I have deep brow ridges and my nose has been busted more than I like to talk about (boxing when young). Does anyone else have this problem, if so did you trim the rubber cups or is there a replacment set someplace?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Scott99:thinking:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Scott

I just threw mine away.....I hate the things and they block out all your peripheral vision. At the end of the day, you feel like you've been working in a windowless dungeon for several hours. :)

Cheers
Andrew

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Andrew. After a long day they made my eyes sore. I threw them aside and got used to not using them. It seemed odd for just a short while, but now I'll never go back.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You've had trouble with ninjas too???
:)
Seriously, like others say it takes a day or so to get used to it but just don't use them.
Rex

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Well,

I use them all the time. I do not use the round eyecups since they do give all sorts of problems.

That being said try to get a pair that conform to the shape of the eye and bridge of the nose.

Here is a example of what they are like.

Improved from round ones but not as good as the older, softer longer (tail) type .

link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paif-Rubber...ollectables_Scientific_MJ&hash=item20bc964079

Real good ones are more like these eyecups for cameras but for microscope occulars. Hard to find but just the best.

Link;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pc-Eye-Cup...900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb7967694

I use them instead of a forhead rest to keep my eyes at at fixed distance from the occulars just love them but I would not use anything else.

the difference is like comparing a rawhide glove to a fine calfs leather driving glove..

Try to find a pair and you would really love them.

I do use a leica detatchable photoport for photomicroscopy 3rd port.

As far as somone sneaking up on me well (3 second rule).

AirAmp

Last edited: