Microscope info request

glendikes

I'm looking for any info on an Olympus OME scope's suitability for engraving as a beginner scope. The price was right and I know very little about this type of scope. I do know it is heavy and seems to be in good shape for an articulated floor stand. I haven't found much infor on the net and was looking to the Cafe for info. What can any of you offer?
THX,
Glen

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am not familar with it, can you post a picture and more importantly some specs and perhaps we can tell you whether it is suitable or not

glendikes

Scott,
I have disassembled it to move it. Pictures will be several days away. There are no specs as this was obtained as "salvage" from a closed healthcare facility. The lense has 5 pair of objectives that turn on an internal holder. At the highest setting I can see the pores in my fingerprint as I hold it under the scope. I'll try to find more info on the net.
Thanks for your reply.
Glen

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm just guessing here that this is not a zoom scope. and might not give good 3-d vision. it might serve your needs, but you will have to be the first judge of that. the zoom scopes show true stereo 3 dimensional imagery. this is critical for work, say like doing coins. the zoom is valued, as it allow tweaking the image to the "just perfect" size for a given job. also the "zoomers", at least with the .5 auxillary lens, allow more than enough room for your hands and tools to get in there and work. btw, you need not spend a ton of bucks on a fiberoptic illuminator. they're nice, but in inexpensive , mini led flashlight works great too. the one i use gives full field illumination, good color rendition, and st me back about 9 bucks. it's powered by 3 double a batts. and runs a long time. good luck.

Hi, I am new to the forums but I just wanted to add that I picked up my fiberoptic dual-neck unit complete for $125 from a local buyout warehouse. They specialize in medical equipment and they have hundreds of scopes, lights, stands in varying states of condition. You might want to check if there is a company like this in your area.

I got my Unitron ESB scope head professionally refurbished on Ebay for just $200, and am very happy with it so far, although I had to spend another $100 on an objective lens for an 8" working distance. Still a good deal though.

Latest posts

Sponsors