Microscope lighting 2

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
OOoooooooooooh, A light war. Where did I put my light saber. Darn, Babe? Did you unplug my
light saber, it's hardly glowing. I going to be the first killed. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to make
a good suggestion.

I bought a Otto Frie scope and light came with it. It barely glows to, but with a lot help from my dazor.
I've got all the light I need. The ring light bounces back into the scope and the dazor bounces off the
engraving and into the scope also. These fluorescents are 15" long and there is three of them.
There is also two banks of double 4 foot florescents on the ceiling also.
Plus I have two big windows 5 x 3 foot. Yes, young Jedi, you'll need a lot of light. If you live in
north, it's a must. Other wise you start feeling dragged out by 5:30pm on a winter day.

It all starts with how you lay out your bench when constructing it. Have a look at the set up when
it's folded away for metal work. This is my Jewellery bench. So it has to do double duty.
Engraving, Diamond setting, soldering and light saber repairs. Please pay no attention to all the
Klingon's on my bench, tomorrow is bench cleaning day. Thank you.
Jim

Attachments

• ICLight1a.jpg
    ICLight1a.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 182
  • desk4a.jpg
    desk4a.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 169

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jim,

Nice talking to you at FEGA in Reno.

How do like the otto frei scope? I'm trying to decide between the Meiji and the otto frei. There's a big price difference. Is it a case of you get what you pay for?

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mark,
Yes, it's a knock off of the Meiji and really close. I would buy another Otto Frei again if I needed
a scope. I would buy the another Acrobat stand if I needed a stand. There is cheaper stuff on
ebay, but I know this unit. It is a hearty set up and will last. The ring light came with my Otto Frei
and it's under powered compared to the ring light that GRS sells. Free is free and I use Dazor three
bulb desk lamps with this scope. You only need a two bulb Dazor with the GRS.

Your ring light is direct bounce back light to the scope. The Dazor is indirect and can make a huge
difference when your trying see a transfer. I will try shutting off the ring light and use the just
the dazor. Or shutting off the dazor and just use the ring light. Normally I use both lights.

It was nice talk to you also Mark.
Talk to you again,
Jim

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
JIm,
I traded in my taser in on a light saber and I can't keep batteries in the thing. How was your trip home? It was good to meet you face to face.

Sandy

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Good Info Jim....Thanks....

There was also a lot of really good information on the previous thread before it got locked....... Thank you guys too......

Now.......after spending too much time checking into different lighting for my needs.......and there's a bunch out there........
Various ring lites......with numerous varities of light
LED... with everything from 20 bulbs to 80 or so
Flourescent.....8, 12 watt.....

Now My question.....

What makes the GRS ring light worth $180 .....??
They don't give enough/any tech data to make a decision ..other than price.... :(

Thanks.......cj

autumnwinds44

Looks like Ferengi were chasing Tribbles by the looks of your bench Mr. Zimmer. Was glad to meet and get the chance to talk with you at Reno. Nice to see you survived High School with DeCamillis, does that qualify for combat pay or workmans comp? Thanks for the info on scopes, now back to the dungeon.....

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi CJ,
It's the going rate for a laboratory ring light. There are cheaper ones made in China and more expensive
ones made in Germany and Switzerland. The one that GRS sells is Japanese and is middle of the road.
It not the ultimate light nor is it cheapest, it just happens to be the GRS sells.
I own one and like it. I had the money, end of story. You, CJ are now on a quest just like
goldy lox, hmmmmmm what's just right for you. Just make sure to run when the bears come home.

Hi Autumn,

Danger pay would have been appropriate. From where Chris and I worked, we went for lunch
about six blocks accross down town Detroit to Lafayette Coney Island. This require us to go
by 3 bars with pimps in leopard skin suits and madams dress up in slave costumes
hanging around the front of the bars that we had to pass to get
to the Coney Island. The 70's were pretty crazy. I don't think I'll finish this story.
Needless to say everyday was an adventure and we learn to run very fast.
I would stay close to Chris because he was bigger then. I was slight of build.
We both thankfully survived.
The Jewellery industry centered around downtown Detroit back in the 60's and 70's because the
rent was cheap.
It was fun seeing Chris again at Reno, he's still a little crazy.
Jim

Last edited:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sandy,
The trip home had a lot of turbulence. A man two rows in from of stood up and started praying.
I had a compass being a scout leader and wanting to know when the plane was making it's final
turn for the runway. I didn't have the hart to tell him he was praying to the south and the should
have been pointed to the front of the plane for east. His prayers seemed to work, we made
the runway. The only thing was no told me that we'd be going into the new terminal in Detroit.
Out came the compass and map again.Finally made it across the bridge and breathed a sigh of
relief to be in Canada again. I never went off of Eastern standard time in Reno so I felt
wide awake when I got home a 3:00am and got up at the normal 7:00am.

It was Great meeting you Sandy. You lucky bugger. Next year the La Tourneau Vice is Mine.
Ya know if it's to heavy for you, I could take it off your hands. I even drive over and pick it up.:rolleyes:
Jim

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Dazor in addition to ring light to see transfers better.

Jim,
I saw in your post where you said your Dazor light in addition to the ring light helps to show up transfers.
I have a Mejii scope with a GRS ring light, and was using a halogen machine light like the kind you might see on a milling machine mounted where you have your Dazor. The halogen light was so harsh I ended up not using it. You said your Dazor worked well to show up transfers. Are you using Transfer Magic or some other type of transfer medium? I seem to have a lot of trouble seeing the images at times using the Transfer Magic. I have a Dazor light like yours around somewhere, I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks,
pappy

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Pappy,
Halogen are a bit to harsh unless they're filtered with a diffusion plate. Also its a single light source
rather than a florescent that tends to use the cumulative sum of all the light it produces.
The florescent is a low output at 15w - 40w light that I think is more suited to microscope work.
Especially with hard reflective surfaces that bounce back light well. The halogens are more suited
to soft fuzzy things that wiggle. Indirect or side light lighting will illuminate high points.
Direct light source will bring out the metal leaving the transfer sort of dull black looking.

Using both will allow you to pick up the bright cut that a graver makes and allows you to compensate
your hand pressure in real time. To get the stroke your trying to with immediate visual feed back.
This is better than taking out of the vice and looking at it under sunlight and then saying,
Oh Momma, what was I thinking?

So that's your optics lesson for today. With a little light theory thrown in.
Jim

ps, Yes, I use transfer magic most of my work. I use wax for hand drawn lay outs mostly. Some Chinese white, rarely.
The rings I do, I just go directly to a lay out with scribe guide lines. The lines are integral to the design anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors