microscope ?

charles vail

I'm new here and am considering the purchase of a microscope from Otto Frei with the LED ring light. These list for around $1200 and fit within my price range. I would consider a Meiji but would like to use the additional money for a better air compressor. Do any of you have experience with the brand Otto Frei is selling? I am a jeweler by trade and want to expand into more engraving plus I am over 45 and the old eyes are not working as well with just an optivisor. Any info or tips would be appreciated. :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
microscope

i don't know the brand otto frei sells. i purchased a used scienscope brand. a brand which i had never heard of. i bought it april 2007. very happy with the purchase. beware, buying used, even the best brands can bring problems along. make sure the seller allows returns.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Charles, there have been several threads on this topic a search will get you a lot of information and opinions-You might also check out the Lindsey and knifenetwork/forums/fine embellishment sites.
I bought the Omano OM99/V6 - 6.5x-45x Stereo, Zoom, Boom Microscope for about $1200 with all the accessories I wanted (12 watt ring lite with backup bulbs, .75 lens to enlarge the fiel of view 15 power lenses-Bought form the microscope store-very happy with scope and the folks that run the place could not be more helpful-I had a issue with the clamp on thd boom stand-it split-They sent a replacement and 2 spares just in case-highly recomend http://www.microscope-store.com/engraving-microscopes-c-8.html

Fred

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have also read a lot of favorable comments about the microscope store but I have not had any dealings with them myself. I bought a Meiji from GRS and I like it very much. I think the typical consensus is to buy the best that fits into the amount you are able to spend.

Good luck,
Peter

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
My first microscope was a Omano .7x.45. The optics were pretty good but not as bright as a Meiji.
This year I finally broke down and got a new Meiji for the better optics. I got mine on the internet from Miles Scientific. EMZ-5, .7x.45, 10x eye peices, .44 barlow lens, no stand $1100.00 shipping included.

Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
btw, i would advise the.5 auxillary lens as it allows more working distance to clear your hands. and (rarely) if this would result in insufficient optical power, you could buy a more powerful set of eyepieces.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am also pleased with my Omano scope. As has been mentioned already, The Microscope Store is a good place to do business. I like the ring light, but also have two halogen lights on the right and left of the vise. This gives better contrast to the engraved line no matter how the work is positioned. I found these halogen lights for only $30.00 at Office Depot.

Mark

Latest posts

Sponsors