Help, please: Microscope

Yesterday I visited a fellow engraver here in Norway (pkasnes) and he was so kind as to let me try his engraving setup which included a microscope.

I have reached "step 3" in my investment plan, step 1 being the Gravermax G8, and step two the powerhone system. Step 3 is as you probably guessed, a microscope.

I do have quite a limited budget, and I know you'll recommend the more expensive microscopes any day, and I understand that. I have found the amscope boom microscope on ebay. Is this good enough? I understand I'll have to find a barlow lense, and a light source as well... Any recommendations for a newbie?

Thank you so much for your help! :tiphat:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Steiner,

Here's a little piece of advice.-Don't settle for less than the best,and if that means waiting for a little longer,so be it. YOU would only regret not having a quality setup if you buy cheap,this is from first hand experience. Before we had the engravers cafe and all of its wise knowledge I purchace a less expensive scope and wish I had a better one ever since.Now I am stuck with it and can't hardly sell it for what I have in it to replace it with the one that I really want.
Even regret is 20/20 in hindsight!!!!

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I'm real happy with my Meiji EMZ. It probably is the minimum quality of scope you should buy lest one could get a headache from crappy optics. Also beware if you buy used to be sure it is returnable in case the scope is fogged up internally which can happen.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I wish I the money for a Mejii!! I bought a boom scope off of ebay, and use it 5-8 hours every 2-3 days and it works fine. It was $500 new 4 years ago. When I can afford a better scope I will surely get one, but until then this one works. I may have gotten lucky, but I don't get headaches, have eye strain or any of those percieved problems.
Get the best scope that you can possibly afford. If you can't afford the best, 2nd or 3rd best will have to do.

Will

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have had great results with my bargain scienscope. no complaints. if you order the amscope-- make sure-- they allow return if not happy with the instrument. if return is allowed, it's likely you'll have to pay for return shipping. years ago in a lab, i used some of the finest scopes available, anywhere, tho they were binocular, medical lab scopes. i don't imply a relatively lower priced scope is equal to the high quality ones, certainy not. but, they just may work and do what you expect of them.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Check Ebay for nikon SMZ scopes excellent optics and old enough to have very reasonable prices $350 up USD. Good luck on youe search

jldj

I agree with Dave - there are some good used SMZ scopes on e-bay. Also punch in a search for microscope articulating arms - their on the site for 215.00 new - and are far superior to boom stands - I have 2, one at home and one at work - frankly in my opinion they are superior to the GRS stand I used to use at another job.

jldj

One thing I forgot to mention - the scope mount must be a pin tail in order to be used with the Articulating table clamp arms I'm talking about - each microsope brand seems to use a certain inner diameter mount - so this may require you buying a pin tial mount - I bought 2 - both of e-bay and both much, much cheaper than you can get new.

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
Hello, Steiner
If you look in the tip's section,Leonardo has a article on scopes to buy and scopes not to buy.This was a big help for me. Also, you can do a search here on Igraver for microscopes.Several members have given their opinion on scopes and lighting.
Dennis

hybridfiat

Steiner if you do get an Amscope get one with a Barlow lens 0.5x as this will give you an 8" working distance. I have an Amscope for engraving no issue with the optics, I shoot with Zeiss scopes and binos so I can recognise a good optic when I see it. The Amscope is good to the outside of the feild of veiw and have good focus.
The only issue you may encounter with the cheap scopes is repairs should something go wrong. The cheaper they are the harder to fix.

Thank you all for your tips. I've decided to buy the amscope, its the only one I can afford in the forseeable future, and having the amscope is better than having no microscope. :)