muzzleloading guns

ctree1763

You guys and gals do great work on moderen guns but do any of you engrave muzzleloaders? I have not seen any work like what I do. I would like to compair your pics to how Iam doing.

Thanks Ctree

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
muzzleloaders

havent done one in awhile. but some time ago i sort of specialized in doing the front stuffers. i liked them as none of the parts ever had to be annealed, heat treated or any of that nonsensense. none of the parts had logos and stuff that had to be engraved around, and i just had a fondness for the old style guns. you could also cut without worry on any and all of the parts, as these:D pups never generated high pressures when they discharged. monk45@verizon.net

LRB

Ctree, here is more of my work, but Cody's work is what you need to see. Snyder is really good, but he is almost too good for MLs.

FL-Flinter

Elite Cafe Member
Dog gonnit Wick .... would you stop showing off already!

Beautiful work my friend! Did you make that side plate?

No Way Near

What LRB and Cody are doing, but I am doing muzzleloaders as well and really enjoy all aspects of the work.
Would like to see some of your work as well though.

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
ctree, muzleloaders are about all I do. Wick has always been very supportive of my work and I appreciate his kind words. What Wick (LRB) doesn't seem to realize is that my work has nothing on his and i admire his work as much as he seems to admire mine. One of those "grass is greener" things I guess. Until now, my longrifle work has been somewhat contemporary but my English work i try to be as historically correct as possible. I'm building a rifle now that is intended to be historically correct and I will post pics when it's done. Here's a practice plate of a contemporary interpretation of a Kuntz patch box that I may use someday and a couple of little Smith english locks I'm making for a sxs. A little unorthodox to engrave the locks before they're even made yet but I was tired of making parts and wanted something to engrave.:D

Cody

FL-Flinter

Elite Cafe Member
Cody, Them #2 square drive screws don't look "historically correct" to me, at least not on an english gun. LOL On the serious side, did you back the sear screw out of the lock when you did the graving or are you just that good? Locks as a whole are very nice too.

Tom, I like what you did as well, the shading at the hinge caught my eye, nice way to blend the mechanical with the art.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cody and Ctree - Both of you are doing some great looking work. I love seeing it.

Thanks for showing it.

Peter

Swede

Cody, I really like those locks. I feel you've captured the appearance and spirit of some old engraving. While I love newer scrollwork, and am trying hard to learn the style, a more modern engraving on those locks would look slightly out of place.

I think good repro flintlock engraving is a skills subset much like bright cut, or bulino, hobo nickels, or any other more specialized engraving talent.

Latest posts

Sponsors