My First Engraved Rifle

CUTTING METAL

After some apprehension I decided to post these pictures of my first rifle. It was a great learning experience and I made a fair number of mistakes in the process.
You professional engravers do such unbelievable work that when I compare my attempts, I feel like a retarted person at a convention for rocket scientists.
If I am to grow as an engraver - I must be able to place my head on the cutting block and get some professional feedback. Another question I have is: Will blueing this rifle make viewing the bear much more difficult?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated - "so load up and fire away"

Thanks in advance, Dick Sheehan

Attachments

• Marlin side B.jpg
    Marlin side B.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 270
  • Marlin side  A.jpg
    Marlin side A.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 262

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For a first gun it looks good. Blueing will make it all look better. I think games scenes look much better blued than french grayed, IMHO. Only thing I would say negative is I don't like the way the backbones run into the pin and screw holes. I would worked the pattern a little more to make the pattern either avoid the screws holes (put them in the background) or incorporate them somehow, (make the ends as part of the ball of the scrolls or something) but trying to just run through them is very distracting to the visual flow of the scroll pattern.

Last edited:

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Dick, I have 49 years exp. and have to agree with Scott. However, I do think you have done a commendable first job and those bear tracks on the lever are way cool. Ken

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you aint gonna believe this:everyone participating on this forum was born naked and stupid. there was a time nobody here could even spell engraving, and here you are doing it ! how great is that ? you have done something on this gun that struck me right off-- the bear tracks- how cool ! the mistakes here will eventually go away with practice. you're on the right track by doing the work. without this you never grow to your full potential. practice plates are necessary, but sooner of later the real thing must come down. i'd say for your first one i would award you a b+ maybe an a- . a very well done, in any event. if you can scan and print this, get a projector and blow it up on a wall to really see what you'e doing. this can sometimes helb see flat spots, bumps, and such. keep at it !

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree the bear tracks are way cool. I did something similar one time with poison ivy leaves and raccon tracks in about every odd corner of a gun.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dick

I'll leave the critiquing to the more experienced than me.

Really well done for your first rifle. Sooner or later you have to tackle the real thing. It is a big learning curve and it makes you realise that the engraving side of it is only one part of the whole job. The mistakes are as valuable to your learning as what you get right.

Your next one will be better and the one after that better again. Keep posting pictures.

Cheers
Andrew

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good work keep cutting, way cool bear tracks, may be use them as your logo, signature etc

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good work for your first attempt at the "real thing".
I sure wished my first gun looked that good.

As a thought for a new thread--- wouldn't it interesting for all of us veterans to post a picture of our first engraved gun?
I'm not sure if I have the courage to start it.

Any takers?

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
You opened your mouth Brian let's see it.:) I thought I would be safe so I bought some pistol slides off of ebay for about $10 ec to practice on before I tried a real firearm.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dick, for a first attempt it ain't bad but like most things it could be improved upon. The bear is very good but it's the scrollwork that needs attention.

The first thing that hits me smack between the eyes is the size of the scrolls, they're enormous! When things get really big the danger is that you end up with huge leaves and lots of background removal both of which can make the design look a bit unbalanced. Personally, I'd like to see you put more scrolls within the same area and not see one or two stretched to fill the space. If you're not careful it will make your work look cheap and what I personally would like to see is high quality work. Your graver control appears to be quite good so there's no excuse for not putting a few more scrolls into the design. If you are working to a tight budget give a few really high quality scrolls framing a scene rather than trying to fill a huge space with as few scrolls as possible. It's a tough call I know but my father taught me to give "Quality not Quantity" if a client has a small budget for engraving.

Next, try spiralling your scrolls a bit more and put a few more, slightly smaller, leaves in them. You'll find the design requires a bit less cutting away of background and that the leaves are easier to shade and model.

Also, leave more of a head for the scroll to end with; remember you are trying to create a styalized plant and the head is a bud with the potential for something else to grow from it.

Finally, this is meant to be a constructive critisism. Please don't feel that I'm trying to shoot you down, nothing could be further from my mind it's meant to help you improve. As you cut more and more projects you'll cringe when you look back on your early work......I certainly do!

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus, I hope ever one who reads your post will appreciate the excellant advice you have given Dick. I sure do. Thanks, Glenn:)

CUTTING METAL

I want to thank all you fellows who have taken the time to post your opinions and very good suggestions as to how I may improve on my engraving efforts.
I have saved these and will refer to them in the future and plan on doing even better work on the next firearm.

Thank you so much, again, Dick Sheehan

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dick: Some of the previous comments are very valid, but I would like to put in my two cents, as I know you and where you are coming from. I particularly like the bear side of the piece as your scrolls are better balanced and your continuity is good there. The other side however is a bit removed. Keep continuity throughout the piece. The enormity of the scrolls on one side verses the better plan on the other side, I feel there is no comparison. Having said that, the other critiques will be valuable too. Now,........... you should see some of my first efforts and I am sure all will agree, for a first piece this is exceptional. As for your future as an engraver, you will get better and your attitude tells me that you are not afraid of critisizm and that is important to your advancement. You will get a lot of help if you have the courage to stand humiliation. Keep at it and don't give up. Remember some of the things I taught you in the drawing class and if I can help you furthr, feel free to ask.......Study your leaf designs and be proud of what you have achieved. .....Forward!.............Ron S

CUTTING METAL

Ron,
You are a wonderful teacher and friend. I agree 100% with your thoughts and I need to go back and do some more drawing exercises from your great course.
After I had finished this rifle, I too thought that the scrolls on the oposite side were much to large and not layed out as well as the bear side. You taught us to darken in around our scroll drawings to get a better feel of the layout, balance, etc.
I did do this on the bear side, but not the other side and it sure shows. I promise to go back and review the leasons you taught us in class and I am always greatful for your opinion and the opinions of the other wonderful engravers on this forum.
I consider it a great honor to know you.

My Best Regards, Dick

Latest posts

Sponsors