Critique Request My first scroll design

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Thought i`d try at least with the knowledge gained in the past weeks.

Plate is 25mm square, thats about 1 inch.

I think it came out ok for a first go but a few things i can see need tweaking.
Hope all is growing the correct way :big grin:

Looks best at real size of course.

Edit: i spotted a small leaf error on the left & right sides..

Last edited:
I think it looks really good for a first. I can only offer a little advice. It seems that the bigger your scrolls get, the less fluid they become. As well as the depth. Dont get me wrong i think its amazing. Really good job.. Keep going buddy...you have the gift.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not too bad!

The starting 'C' scrolls came out a bit... off but eh, it's the first try and the idea is right.

Fairly good flow (except for that one backward leaf you already spotted). Your top pair should maybe come off just a little bit higher - they're not quite tangential, as Leonardo so helpfully pointed out they should be back around June 6th.

Looking forward to seeing the next one!

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Looking back, i can see quite a few details that need attention next time.
I guess it`s a good thing to see & understand your own errors :)

Least the idea is kinda working, thats a step forward from a couple of weeks ago :thumbs up:

Two Claws

Go, Chris! I think you're progressing really well! We do work small don't we? That's what we're used to!

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Go, Chris! I think you're progressing really well! We do work small don't we? That's what we're used to!

Yeah we do :big grin:, at least i`m drawing big and then shrinking it down.
Cutting bigger seems really out of my comprehension & comfort zone.
At the end of the day i think small stuff will be my way for the things i will scratch, so if my smaller scrolls seem neater thats a plus :)

Besides that, all my practice plates are that size so it`s tricky to fit much of a design in it at the moment.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the only rules i know are the rules of my eyes. my eyes tell me i like this design. it pleaseth me ever so greatly.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I`m working a another simple "design" at the moment basically just to try to make sure i get the idea of how to join up scrolls in the correct direction.

Then.. back to one or two scrolls, studying the cuts more closely as i know they are needing attention & my efforts are a loose interpretation of the real thing.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Chris (yeah, I'm backtracking LOL) you have the right idea but your execution isn't quite right. The starter scroll tails are a bit too big. If you look at the attached photo you'll see that the starter tail that uses a screw hole is a bit larger than the one opposite which is the size/proportion you want.

Also, the outside work isn't quite there yet. The reason for outside work is to soften the edge of a design. If it's to sparse it cannot achieve this. It grows just as scrolls do i.e. the opposite direction to the scroll it grows from. Make sure that anything that grows in the valley between scrolls also adheres to this rule. Hope this helps.

PS, the rose needs attention too but that's a whole other ball of wax.

Attachments

• Lanc_detail.jpg
    Lanc_detail.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for chipping in Marcus, no worries about upsetting me with helpful advice :big grin:
I see a huge difference, & study more i must.
As for the rose, i don`t recall ever drawing one before.

Here is the last effort that i`d thought best to finish before studying abit more..
Second attempt at script by the way.

Last edited: