My first trip to Reno

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Well, not exactly my first trip to Reno. I live about 3 hours away. But I just got back from my first FEGA show. Wow, what an experience!! Seeing such beautiful pieces of art in person was awe inspiring.

I first discovered the Engraver's Cafe about this time last year, just a few days after the FEGA show. Many of you had just gotten back from Reno and it was the first time I had heard of the event. My background is in jewelry engraving and stone setting, but my interest was peaked. Over the last year, I have seen some truly stunning photographs of firearms, knives and such on this forum and it has inspired me. But as inspired as I was from seeing photographs, it pales in comparison to my feelings after spending a few hours at this years show. Getting to see some of these works of art in person gives you an entirely different perspective. Being able to see in 3-D was extremely educational. Certain techniques I had seen in photographs but was never able to quite understand now are becoming much more clear. Now, more than ever, I want to find the time to start firearm and knife engraving.

On top of the incredible artwork, I was able to meet many members of the Cafe. 5 minutes after arriving at the Silver Legacy, my wife Nancy and I ran into Sam and Abigail at a cafe. I introduced myself and we spoke for a few minutes and then Sam invited us to join them for lunch. We had a very nice conversation and they made us feel very welcome. Truly down to earth, nice folks. I also had the pleasure of meeting Ron Smith and Sam Welch. Both were very kind and shared some of their vast knowledge and answered some of my probably mundane questions about some of the most impressive firearms I had ever seen.

I was able to attend two of the seminars taught by Marty Rubino and Sam Welch. I learned alot in a very short period of time. Both had very nice presentations under less than ideal conditions for teaching.

If any of you that have not yet been to the FEGA show ever get a chance to get there, I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Sure glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the feedback. Us oversees guys are just drooling while reading of your fantastic experience. Maybe some day....

Just like to ad a smile to this thread

Last edited: