My first Zippo

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hello forum,

Here's my first engraved Zippo. It was solid brass and very easy to engrave. This was also so-called acceptance exam for Lindsay AirGraver with foot pedal, my first project done with that - I got it just this week. I like it especially for shading, probably it's something like Monarch from GRS, but I've no way to tell.

Anyway, here are the photos for your pleasure and just in case anyone wonders, photo of my expensive home studio setup :)

What you guys think about it? Design, execution, anything that can be improved, please tell me.

One thing I know - I still have problem with long curvy lines, but I'm improving on that...

Attachments

• zippo1.jpg
    zippo1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 230
  • zippo2.jpg
    zippo2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 216
  • studio.jpg
    studio.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 149

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts, the only thing that disturbs me here, is the termination of the scroll in the upper left corner of the design. I describe facal points in my book, and this is one as an example. The mass of the terminating tendril of that spiral is like a beacon to me. If you put a little more detail to break up that surface metal you will solve that problem. Otherwise, it is a very good layout. Your balance and rythum, spacing, etc. is good. Leaf mass and other elements are pretty consistant. It is a very good design and well done. Very pretty, and time and experience will solve any other problems.

Your photo studio looks like some of my contraptions, but it worked well didn't it? I have made a little set-up that fits right on my tri-pod. It is a removable drape and only takes a minute to set it up. works pretty good however.
the drape is made out of a translucent trash bag (white). No seams and no frame componants to get in the picture. Maybe when i have more time I will take some pictures of it. I can roll it all up into a easy carry, transport situation and take it anywhere i need it. It works wonderfully outside in the sunlight which is filtered by the translucent material or you can use it indoors with perimeter lighting............Just some other photographic ideas...............

Carry on Vilts..........good job.......Ron S

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work!

The all-brass Zippos seem like a really good working surface. I'm just about finished with a set of them that I'll post pictures of later.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Ron for your comment, it was spot-on. I saw it immediately, but only after you said it. I guess this is also question of time and practice.

I attached an 'improved' version of this engraving. Improved is in quotes, because overall picture is indeed much better, but I don't like the leaf that I made there. It looks like something... well, not leafy enough and it's too small too.

Ah well - practice, practice, practice :)

Steve: I'd love to see your zippos!
Zernike: I guess all beginners struggle with long curves. Well maybe not the naturally talented, but the rest of us must engrave a square mile of metal to get a hang of it. I think my next practice plates will be full of very long and very smooth spirals (I just found out that with Illustrator it's really easy to generate 'em).

Vilts, the only thing that disturbs me here, is the termination of the scroll in the upper left corner of the design. I describe focal points in my book, and this is one as an example. The mass of the terminating tendril of that spiral is like a beacon to me. If you put a little more detail to break up that surface metal you will solve that problem. Otherwise, it is a very good layout. Your balance and rythum, spacing, etc. is good. Leaf mass and other elements are pretty consistent. It is a very good design and well done. Very pretty, and time and experience will solve any other problems.

Attachments

• zippo3.jpg
    zippo3.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 126

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good design,layout,balance.
Pretty good stuff for your level of experience.
Time will give you smooth arcs to your scrolls along with depth control.
I'm going to assume you are using either a 120 or 90 deg. square tool and here's something to remember:
The deeper the cut, the wider the line and visa versa: the shallower the cut,the narrower the line.
You'll see a tremendous improvement when you get a real good handle on the depth/width of your lines.

Keep scratchin'
Brian

P.S. That whole "intertwining, over/under, around and through" execution can be pretty intimidating at all levels of experience---you are demonstrating some good artistic instincts here.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the zippo is great! my, you must have spent a fortune setting up to take that pic ! excellent pic, and pretty cutting !

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, thank you for your kind words! Yes, I use 120V for all cutting. Actually every next piece I do I can see that I get more and more control over graver, but I also see that there's much to go.

Monk, yea, that studio setup was expensive. The most important part was the book that held papers - "Custom fixed-blade knives" by D. Darom. It was probably 40 bucks or so.

Eddi, just when somebody may, or may not, be better than you should not be a reason to give up :). That way you can't do anything. But for me engraving is just so much fun, can't help it. And I must say that I had excellent teacher - Sam - who taught in one week what probably would've taken me 5 months or so.

Zernike, I too draw all my designs by hand, but for just practicing cutting very long and very smooth curves I still prefer computer. I know, I'm a computer geek to, no denying that. But now I also try to vectorize my drawings, and learn Illustrator in one go, so they are archived on computer and can later be modified easily.

Latest posts

Sponsors