My Flat gravers are taking a dive

Hi all,
I am a newbie and have used Sam's video to guide my sharpening but i must be doing something wrong. While doing background removal my flats have a tendency to dive to deep and when I try to go shallower I scar up the sides of my project. ANY help is much appreciated.
Thanks, Rick

Andrew Biggs

Hi Rick

It sounds like either your angle of attack is too steep or your heel is not quite right. Maybe too short or too steep an angle. Sometimes slightly rocking the heel can help a bit as well. This puts a very slight curve on the back of the heel.

Try playing with it a bit on a peice of scrap and try to identify the exact problem.

When cutting out backgrounds sometimes the back of the graver can rip the sides of the engraving walls. To get around this you can relieve the immediate area behind the heel by getting a diamond file/dremmel rotary burr and create a half moon of about 5mm long. This gives clearance so when your graver swings around it clears the walls of the engraving.

What type of flat are you using?.........a square graver modified to a flat?.............or a premade flat?

Cheers
Andrew

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Rick,

THis is part of what makes background removal the favorite activity of most engravers! Seriously, in order to avoid banging into your pristine masterpieces, you have to figure out a way to keep the belly off the engraving. The only way to do that is to do your BG removal with a higher angle of attack, hence a steeper angle on your heel. As Andrew mentioned, a ROCKED heel is best because it is more versatile. I rock mine from zero up to about 35 degrees. Any more than that and they dull too easily, but occassionally you may have to go up to 40 degrees or so to get the job done.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I drew a couple of portraits of some of my plows. The first is used for most (90 %?) of the removal and later is used for really tight areas. The relieved belly will give you a safety in tiny areas, but after a few sharpenings it is ready for the wastse basket so save it for when you really need it. I have several of these ground in various widths from about .5 mm to 1.5 mm.
Hope this helps...

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Rick1
I am in Coeur D' Alene Idaho
not to far away
I will probably be in Phillipsburg in the middle of may for about a week
I am not to sure how far that is from Billings but if you ever get over this way call me and we will get together
208-777-8036
Dave

Hey Dave That sounds great. I think Phillipsburg is west of Helena. It is about 250 to 300 miles from Billings.
Thats a bit far in today's gas prices. My wife is talking about doing some traveling this summer and if we go threw Coer D' Alene we will definitely have to get together. I here it is beutiful there in the summer.
Rick

Latest posts

Sponsors