Question: Mystery signature

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Can anyone help me identify the attached signature from the barrel of a Bisley revolver?

Thanks,

Roger

Attachments

• Mystery signature.jpg
    Mystery signature.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 193

Metalshaper

Roger,

could you put a strip of aluminum foil over it and lightly pencil rub it?? Sometimes this will bring out hidden features and make it easier to figure out??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What vintage are we talking Roger?
I'm seeing animal scenes and on a Colt, perhaps it is our fishing guide south of the border.
Hard to really see in the photo just what it says.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Josdiat could be French, Swiss or Belgin. It looks to me form the small amount of engraving visible that it could be Belgin in orgin. Fred

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't have the guns. I just have rather poor pictures. I was asked if I could ID the engraver after others were unable to. It is a set of Bisley flat top Colts. They have relief cut stage coach scenes on the flat top of the frame and a cattle scene on the barrels. The signature is on the barrel just above the ejector rod housing. The scroll looks Germanic but I'm pretty sure the guns were done in the US or possibly Mexico.

In some ways they look like early Prudhomme work or I might have guessed Emma Achleitner but the signature seems to rule that out. I'd put the other pictures here but it is hard to make heads or tails of them.

Scott Pilkington was at my place this morning and I showed it to him. He was puzzled as well.

RB

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It almost looks like it says "Tom Cat" - the end definitely looks like 'Cat' to me but the first part could be several things.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i surely see josoi cat, or i'm going blind lookin at it. i definetely see an "i" that is dotted, followed by what appears to be cat.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i can also see the possibility of josoi cato. the right side of the "o" formed by the designs ?????? and left uncut, maybe ??

Latest posts

Sponsors