Need information on buying Lindsay benchjewel

funkrituals

Hi there I was curious if I buy the benchjewel kit what all I should buy along with it too have everything I need to set stones and also engrave…

That's a very open ended question that greatly depends on what you already have and plan on doing. You'll need compressed air to power the tool so that is the first order to tend to. I believe Lindsay tools has a C02 cartridge adapter to use as an alternative to a traditional air compressor for tools. After that, look at how you want to sharpen your gravers and which types of gravers you mostly use (v-point, onglette, flat, knife edge etc,). That would mean getting graver templates to achieve the shape of the graver and sharpening stones of various grits. Keep in mind Lindsay is a small family owned business that produces some of the finest quality tools in the industry and people will wait on a list for months / years to get his products. Do your own research and circle back with any specific questions you may have and when / if you pull the trigger: HAPPY SPENDING!!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Steve says on his site too ask at the forums because it seems he doesn’t have time for these questions or something… idk
if a vendor of any kind ignored my questions i'd simply seek equipment elsewhere. steve may be too busy. surely somebody there should show a bit of interest in a possible sale. by all means check his forum, it's much like the cafe.

pblack

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
What kind of stone setting are you wanting to do?

That will determine what kinds of gravers you need in terms of material and shape. You'll need some type of rotary setup for stone setting also. Steve sells a bench jewel rotary tool that looks like it would work but I know nothing about it. I'm used to Foredom flexshafts and micromotors like the NSK.

Similar to engraving, stone setting will require different fixtures for different objects. It is extremely hard to answer your question without knowing exactly what you are trying to accomplish. There is no 'one stop shop' kit for jewelry/stone setting and engraving since tool choices and preferences vary from person to person and each discipline has a a laundry list of techniques that you might be interested in.

Davesobel

I got the bench jewel kit last year. You’ll want the diamond sharpening set, the basic template set whic will give you templates for 96°, a combo flat/knife graver template, and one or two more I can’t think of offhand (at work, away from my bench) it also comes with a 116° template. Other than onglettes, those are the standard shapes I see most jewelers using. You can get a small compressor from either Lowes or Home Depot. There’s a brand available that is really quiet at 62db (about as loud as a normal conversation) and only costs about 150-200 for the 2 gallon tank version. Of course there are other tools you’ll need for stone setting, but as far as the graver setup itself, I think that should give you a good start.

Latest posts

Sponsors