New Engraver Advice on What Equipment 2Buy

studioscarab

Hello, my name is Monte Moore, I am an illustrator of almost 20 years, and am interested in doing some engraving. My work is often commissioned for high end custom motorcycles, and I thought it would be great to do engraved designs such as scrollwork, illustrations and typography onto parts of the motorcycle. Usually this is done on engine cases, which are billeted aluminum. I don't know where to start, so any suggestions on the type of equipment that would have the proper power and accuracy would be most useful, especially regarding resale equipment I can pick up cheaper than a new setup.

thanks
Monte
www.mavarts.com

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
goodness, it would seem you have fallen into good hands here. i've done a few bike parts but am no expert by any means. i think our moderator, tira, could best answer that question. i feel she is probably the most qualified to speak of the requirements for the particular needs you seek. i usually advise people to at least give push graving a try, but you may be better advised to go the way of grs power equipment. i only use the gravermeister, so cant speak about the other grs choices. tira could steer you the right way here.

studioscarab

Monk, thanks for the advice, you are the second to recommend speaking with her, plus I learned alot from Steve Lindsey's site as well, seems like a great group of artisans here.

Monte

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monte,

You have come across an excellent forum with a ton of great contributors, and clearly you have great confidence in your art creations, as seen on your web, so the new thing in engraving is working on an unforgiving canvas.

There are a lot of great tools available to us these days, but I would suggest holding off from buying the bigger ticket items, like air assisted graver handpieces, and instead take advantage of some really good information and lower priced equipment in precision graver sharpening, and try some 'push' graving, or hammer assisted cutting. Sam Alfano has a great DVD on graver sharpening, and the Lindsay forum has good info on its web. I would buy one of the several graver sharpening fixtures that are available, and with reference to the above info, trying sharpening gravers, and doing some hand 'push' engraving. Believe me, it will be time well spent, and stand you in good stead if indeed you move on to buy more expensive gear. This initial purchase will be needed if you are to go on to air assist, but 'push' engraving will let you know if this craft is for you.

best

Rod

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monte, Your art work is great! Look in your e-mail and give me a call. It will be easier to advise you than to send many postings/e-mails back and forth. :)

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've done a lot of motorcycle and car parts in past years, bumpers, wheels, blowers, handlebars, engine parts, you name it. A lot of it was done back in my hammer and chisel days, and that is the certainly the cheapest way to start out once you get the sharpenining figured out. Air assist is definately easier to learn to master though. If you are mostly cutting billet aluminum, doing bold deep work to be seen on the bike, I think you could easily get by with a single speed device such as the GraverMate or even a System Three. Actually I think the System Three would be better as you would be much mobile working around the large parts that you will be working on.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Monte...I looked over your website...just fascinating...as far as I am concerned you are right up there with
Alberto Vargas and Boris Valiejo. My advice would be to seek out an engraver in your area who has the knowledge to guide you in the right direction, and the power assist tools so that you can make the right decision. The Gravermate, Gravermax, the Lindsay Classic all wonderful tools. The system 3 I wouldn't recommend it. Keep up the good work. Keep us posted.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice Monte, You will love engraving with your art ability...
Hope to see your work up close...
Jerry

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Monte, Is this air brush or computer generated, or both? You have quite an imagination. Beautiful stuff! Of course you will have to learn how to produce shades and tones with textures rather than colors, but with your talent, I can't see a problem, except that anything done that is to be chromed hase to be heavy enough work that the chrome will not fill it in. Tira can help you with these things, I'm sure and I think some of your b iggest problems will be in how to hold things securely. Beautiful work!!!......... Ron S

studioscarab

Fellow Artisans, thanks so much for your kind words, support, encouragement and quality advice, it feels so warm and helpful in this forum, and quite honestly....I normally don't do the forum thing, as I have too many art projects on my plate.

Rod, great advice, yes I feel like it would be best to ease into the tool purchase, its kind of like airbrushing, you shouldn't drop a couple of grand on tools until you know you are gonna love it and stick with it, which is why I buy alot of good used airbrushes....with very few hours on them.

Scott, thanks for the advice, I'll check out your site as well to see some of your work.

JJ- thanks for the humbling compliment, It's nice to hear you think my work is the same caliber of some of the master's. I'm painting my first warplane project this winter, 1944 Navy fighter, and will be doing some original noseart on the plane, which is thrilling.

Jerry and Tira, thanks for the compliments, Tira - I'll be in touch with you directly.

Ron, the work is all done traditionally, and although alot of it looks airbrushed, there is alot of detail hand painting I do, and I primarily use the airbrush for the fades, skin tones, skies etc, and I enjoy the hands on of hand painting. I don't use alot of stencils or masks if I can help it, and only do that on very detailed complex illustrations like pieces for Lucasfilm etc. The black and Whites are all done with regular graphite (good ol HB pencil).

Does anyone know if there is anyone who teaches hand engraving in Colorado? If not, I may see if my schedule will permit doing a GRS class in Kansas later this year with Tira.

studioscarab

Ron, I'm assuming you are the Ron Smith who has the books available on scroll work and such, do you have books available directly through you so I can have you sign them, or are they only available on the other sites? If you are interested in trading books, let me know, I have 6 pin-up/fantasy art books if you are interested in any of that racy ilk :) - Monte

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Monte - If you can make to Reno at the end of this month you will have the opportunity to meet a lot of engravers at the FEGA show also GRS and Lindsey will be at the show so you can test drive their equipment and get more of a feel for things. Ron Smith will also be there and I'm sure if you brought his book he would be glad to sign it.

Mike

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monte, as it stands right now, I do not have any books on hand. I don't think GRS will have any at Reno either, but you can order it from them. The new addition is right off of the press. If you could make it to Reno with one, I would definately sign it for you. If you can't make it, I will see what i can do about getting you a signed copy. I also wouldn't mind a trade off, but that might take a little time as I would have to order a book from GRS, sign it and then offer it to you in trade which is totally possible.
I am concentrating on getting stuff together for my display in Reno right now, and time is running short, so it might be a while...............Ron S

studioscarab

Mike and Ron, Yes I would love to go, but the timing blows. I got a big motorcycle show myself first of feb, and I have two complete bikes, a t-rex, and a bunch of other projects on the table, so this month is gonna be a killer for me as far as time, doubt I'll be able to sneak away. Ron, I'll just go ahead and get the books from GRS if they have them, and get you to sign it for me later, I always like to support fellow artists directly when I have the option. I think I'll visit Dave London in Colorado Springs, he offered to show me around the bench and let me check out some of the lindsey tools. thanks guys.

Latest posts

Sponsors