New ring pattern

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while. Here's a platinum ring I did this morning. Very quick and simple to do.

Attachments

• P1011318.JPGedit.jpg
    P1011318.JPGedit.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 207

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mark,
Great looking ring, can you explain how you cut this?

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I cut parallel lines with an onglette graver approx. 2.5mm apart. I marked out where to raise the beads with dividers. I raised the beads with an onglette. I then used a 120 degree graver to cut the 2 cuts going from shallow to deep between the beads, creating a repetitive V pattern. I used a flat graver to relieve the outside lines of the V. I then used the onglette again to cut another line on the outside of the pattern which creates the raised edge for the millgrain. I used a beading tool to round the beads, and finally used a #10 millgrain wheel for the final step. Total time from setting it in my graver's block until I was photographing it was 1.25hrs.

I hope that makes sense. Maybe next time I'll take some photos along the way for a tutorial.

Mark

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Is there a difference in the temperment (cutting) of platinum compared to silver? Price is sky high, but being a curious soul.....

Silver cuts like butter. Platinum is soft, but it's kind of sticky. When you come to the end of a cut or when you want to get a clean corner you sometimes have to go over it a few times because the bur of metal doesn't always just snap off. You need a highly polished graver because any grooves that are left by the graver are there forever.