New Twist for Transfering a Design

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
After reading on another site about using baking parchment for a transfer, I picked up some Reynolds Bakers Parchment Paper to try. It worked the first time with very sharp detail, no blurring, or smudging. Heres how I did it:

1. Print your design on plain paper using an inkjet printer ( my printer is a HP-1310, with #56 ink cart).

2. Cut a piece of the parchment just a little larger than your printed design, tape the upper 2 corners down over your printed design.

3. Turn paper over and reprint your design. (Depends on your printer) Then peel off the parchment.

4. Coat your metal with either the Cerille, or White solution.

5. Place your design printed side down, and burnish.

At the price of $2.84 at WalMart, for a roll 15" x 30' , I figgured I couldn't go wrong. If it failed, I would just give it to the other half, and let her figure a use for it. (box is to light to hit you with)

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i for 1, will give this a try.btw i found that the orange sharpie leaves a crappy crud on the brass snuff boxes. very tough to get rid of. better to not use the sharpie.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Powderhorn,
Thank you for a good transfer tip.
Just to clear things up..... do you print "Black Ink Only" per the Tom White system?
And what paper setting.....Bright White or Transparency?
Glad to hear that the parchment works with both Tom and Mike's transfer solutions.
It is a lot cheaper than Epson film.

Best wishes, John B.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
John B;
I just used the plain paper, black only setting, and it worked, so have not tried using the transparency settings. I plan on playing with it some more, but it sure surprised me on how good it did work for the first time, without jumping thru a lot of hoops.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
This is a follow up on the original post. I have tried using it on brass, silver, and steel. It does work very well, especially if you set your printer to black cart only, and use the transparency setting. The great thing about it is, it's cheep to use, no high dollar transparency sheets.

alfrisillo

Powderhorn,

I tried your technique but wasn't sucessfull. I have an HP printer with a #56 cartridge. I was able to get an image printed on the parchment paper but when I try to burnish it on metal, I get a smear of ink. Any ideas?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sounds like you need to let it dry longer.

I got it to work yesterday. In the classroom at GRS they have a copier. In the Wal-Mart at Emporia they have Reynold's brand Baking Parchment. The ever-indulgent wife remembered I was hunting for it so I had Reynold's brand Baking Parchment in the class yesterday. ;)

Took two tries. First time I didn't have the cut down sheet quite flat enough. Second time it fed right through.

Got a nice, clear image just like regular paper but you can brush the toner off with your finger if you want (or aren't careful). Used the Sharpie trick for the 'base coat' on the metal since another class member had grabbed a pack to use.

Color the metal with a light colored Sharpie - I used green, she used red for her test - let it dry, then burnish the image off of the baking parchment onto the metal. If you rub hard enough you can rub it off but you have to try. When you're done Acetone cleans off all of the marker and any 'unused' image.

Note: if you use a bottle like GRS's that tends to squirt out a large 'blurt' of acetone, don't hold the plate in your hand unless you want green fingers all day. :rolleyes:

The Reynold's paper seems to be just enough stiffer I should be able to get it to work in my printer at home. I'll find out this weekend.

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
several years ago I was in one of those dollar stores.There were some small pump spray bottles I found in the corner.pick up all they had.There were only 5.I use these to spray on my acetone and alcohol.they put out a spray mist.easy to control the amount

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At home I have a simple cheap bottle from Hobby Lobby with a pointed tip and a cap. Also easy to control. In the GRS classroom they have the type with a dip tube that works on air pressure. You squeeze the bottle to force the contents up and out. For me, not so much control.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
alfrisillo;
I have tried to duplicate your problem, and have a couple of questions for you.

1. did you coat the metal with transfer solution??
2. did you turn the image printed side down( towards metal)??

the correct procedure is:
1. select and print your design in reverse
2. put parchment over design
3. reprint design
4. coat your metal with transfer solution
5. place design printed side down and burnish.