Kayla

Hello All:

I am trying to learn how to hand engrave. I have a Gravermax and a few books, I did get a couple of lessons, but then had to move. Now I am in Northern British Columbia, so I don't know when/if I will be able to get some further instruction. I used to be machine engraver (still have a rotary engraver), but have always been interested in hand engraving.

I look forward to reading your various posts and learning from you all.

Thank you

Edit
22JUL07 - So, I tried to reply yesterday, but I didn't notice it post. Apparently, it is not just hand engraving I am a newbie to.

Thanks Tira.

Tom, I had a small business and used a Xenetech 1313 for producing name plates, badges and other signage, I sold that when I left the Province. When I moved to BC, I bought a Xenetech Star 912 - don't really like it.

Ron, I have always preferred hand engraving over machine. As a child I lived down the street from a hand engraver, I guess when I was a teenager, I should have approached him about learning the craft.

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome! We're glad you found us. :) There is a wealth of information on this site as well as many tips and tricks on iGraver.com. Ask away and someone will help!

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Kayla, you'll get lots of good info on this forum.

I must say it is hard to beat personal instruction. You can read books and study videos, but really, the classroom situation is the best. But this forum will be a tremendous help to you until you can get some classroom time for yourself.

Machine engraving: does that mean you ran a pantograph, Gorton or Deckel, for example? I've spent a lot of time running machines like that, small pantograph milling machines. Making plastic molds, reducing patterns, nameplates, small parts, etc. The CNC technology has sent most of the glorious machines to the dumpster.

But anyway, welcome. There are some excellent folks in your neck of the woods. Engravers and gun builders. It is my hope to get up there some day to visit them. I've been out West USA, but not Western Canada or Alaska.

You will find this to be a very helpful and supportive forum. I have learned a tremendous amount just by checking in every day.

Good luck and welcome!

Tom

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Kayla, welcome to the forum. I started on a pantagraph when I went to work for the jewelry store learning jewelry manufacturing. That machine almost caused the demise of hand engraving, but fortunately the engravers coming in at that time stuck it out to keep engraving alive. It was pretty tough competing with a machine. I quickly knew that I wanted to learn hand engraving, but did the pantagraph bit for the company until I could do some of the easy hand engraving jobs. You will throw rocks at that machine when you get into the hand work. Best of luck and you will get a lot of good advise from this forum............Ron S

Kayla

Hiya:

I ran a small business and had a Xenetech 1313, computerized system. Sold the business as we moved to BC, but picked up a Xenetech Star 912 and still have my vinyl plotter, I will use these for name plates, badges and other signage. I grew up in Vancouver and a neighbour up the street was a hand engraver, I guess I should have approached him as a teenager to try to learn the craft as even back then I remember liking hand engraved stuff better than machine engraved.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is good to have something that will make money for you while you are getting addicted to hand engraving. I'm a big kidder......Having money to buy new engraving tools is very important!! Who was the "neighbor up the street", if I might ask?........Ron S

Kayla

Hi Ron:

His name was Mr. Wilton, I don't know his first name. It could have started with a J, I would have to ask my Mum, he moved away from the Lower Mainland.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, my 2 cents- the pantograph can out produce a hand engraver. quality wise you can take the panto and shove it. i earn money using one, but i cant point to the work with much pride. hand engraving is where the good feeling is for me. also where the better money is. get the james b. meeks book. it covers most of the things you will eventually want to learn. the tapes and dvd's are good too, but the book covers a lot of territory. good luck. practice a lot, and hang out on the forum , not in taverns !