Non-typical bench returns

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hey folks, just to let you know that even fending off the elements I'm thinking of the forum group. So I had to take time out of my busy day.........talking is busy, I took some explanatory pictures. I hope this helps with the historical question and to also show us ultra modern types. :D Now if I just had some tools?!!! I pawned them for gas money, I hope to get them out of hock soon. :) Hope everyone has a smile on their face and a hammer in hand.
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

Attachments

• small copy.JPG
    small copy.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 233
  • sm. copy.JPG
    sm. copy.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 242

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,

I notice the patchbox brass is not engraved on the rifle. Does that indicate that you prefer to engrave it after it is inlayed into the stock and in place or will you remove it to engrave?

Thanks for the pics, especially the vise.

RB

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi mark .. your photos bring back memories of my Kentucky rifle making days ,, back in the 1970!s i made a few flint lock rifles and a couple of swivel breach rifles .. thanks for showing your work .. ron p

Metalshaper

Thanks!

Mark,

Thanks for the pics of you bench.

Its something along the lines of what I've been thinking of. My two buddies and I, put on demo's a few times a year. kind of a combined black smithing and gun building sort of thing. I usually end up swinging the hammer or showing how things are done ( the work! :{D ) while the other two answer other questions and keep an eye on the rifles and such, we have laying out.

I'm working at learning my hammer engraving ( slowly ) so hoping to add that as another skill.. to show how things were done.

Respect Always
Metalshaper

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, I like to engrave the patchbox in the wood most of the time. My plan was to engrave it at the Market Fair didn't get it started let alone engraved. The patchbox is an easy to get around piece on that bench when not using the ball vise, I take one of the arms off to accomodate the vise.
Ron, thanks, I'd like to see some of your early work. Missed you in Harrisonburg, but saw J.J.
Metalshaper, if you have any questions, drop me a note
Mark

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,
To me engraving the patchbox in the wood seems much more difficult than doing it out in a ball vise where you can turn the work instead of trying to move around the wood. I have a Traditions PA flintlock that I wanted to engrave but couldn't get the brass out of the stock. If I try to cut it in the stock the scroll will probably be full of elbows and flat spots like most of the KY and PA rifles I've seen.

On another note, I will be looking for you at the NRA show.

Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my god, if my first born wouldn't file a law suit, i'd trade him for that table and vise ! i'd like to build that just to say i have one ! i must, however, agree with roger; that metal stuff is way more fun to work off the gun !!!!!!!!

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
what do you mean you pawned the tools for gas ? get yourself a good garden-hose like others on the forum, how do you think theses fellows are going to travel to the engrave - in !!??!!??!!