On the subject of business licenses's

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Perhaps this topic could be of interest to some of the members.

There is a wide variety of business people on the forum who either sell products, services, or mostly both.

I know rules vary from state to state but I need to get a license. Allot of companies that I use want to know that I'm an actual business (casting houses, Stuller, Hoover & Strong...).

Every year I pay federal taxes as a sole proprietor... But I haven't yet done much business within the state, and I have no retail location (although it would be possible for local people to want engraving, 95%+ of my business is out of state).

Can anyone tell me from whom they obtained their license (through the county or through the state).. and if it is a certain type?

In Ohio there seems to be 4 types:

Vendor - Fixed location where retail sales are made
Service Vendor - Provides data processing, computer services, lawn care, landscaping...
Transient Vendor - Retailer transports goods to temporary places in order to make sales
Delivery Vendor - Maintains no store, showroom where merchandise is offered for sale

Thank you for your support,
Bartles and James :beerchug:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know rules vary from state to state but I need to get a license.
You need to talk to a local accountant, not someone here. Getting a business license can subject you to business taxes, sales taxes, personal property taxes and a plethora of reports which must be filed in a timely manner or subject you to penalties plus interest. This is not something to be naive about.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave is right,

Go talk to a local accountant and for probably $75 or less they will help you get whatever you need to be "In compliance". With the economy the way it is states are really tightening down the screws. Here in MO they are looking for people to hit with fines.

Every locality has its own nuances. The only person that is REALLY going to know what you need for your location is your local tax accountant.

Ray

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Certainly good advice... I spent some time on the phone with someone from the county office and also have been emailing back and forth with the state... The county office directed me to the state since I don't make sales from a brick and mortar location... The state said I needed a Delivery Vendor license...

I was just curious if it was similar in other states... It's all confusing and the type of legality that doesn't agree with my mind... I did accounting work for an oil and gas company in another life but was never involved in public accounting.

I'd much rather be drawing scroll :) :drawing:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have city business privledge, pa state sales tax license, and naturally, i pay the feds during the april "push".

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
In addition to the business license research, I suggest a discussion with your insurance agent to make sure you have the right coverage for what you are doing.

I have seen insurers deny coverage in certain circumstances, which can be disastrous for the person who has been paying premiums for insurance only to have his insurer argue that it did not cover him under certain conditions or for certain types of claims. A simple slip and fall by a customer or delivery person, or even a trespasser, could bankrupt a guy if he has to fight with his own insurance carrier after the occurrence.

Make sure that the coverage the agent says he sold you is actually reflected in the language of the policy.

Mike Fennell

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors