Help, please: Overylay

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I am wanting to do some overlay on a piece that I am working on, but am having a hard time visualizing and producing the burs. Can someone please give me a good explanation on how to cut the burs that will hold a overlay on good. I would do an inlay, but I don't feel I have a thick enough piece to do it with, and I would like to have a raised animal on my engraving.

Thanks
Mike

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if a copy of the meeks book is nearby, there's an excellent explanation in that book. explained in such a way, anyone could do it.

Jbardon

I found it very difficult to do from reading Meek's book and had to see it done before I was successful it inlays or overlays. The easiest way that I was taught was to raise burs with a 90 degree graver like you were going to start a cut but then stopped. Make sure that they do not exceed the thickness of your metal and that they go in different directions. There is another method of using a chisel shaped graver to make a field of points like a double cut file but I have not had good luck with this method. Good luck and I'm sure that others will give you even better description than I did.
Jason

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, I use a Bulino Point graver, without a Primary Heel, Then I Just Poke Tiny barbs into the Floor Area for the inlay, Make Sure They are Not Higher than the Depth of the pocket.

It Works for Me.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
jbardon: i share your failures ! and that's the reason i didn't try to describe the way i tried doing the procedure. tried a few times, maybe one more time i would have made it. for one thing, i know i was working with junk metal and not the good, dead soft stuff that you need to use. most of my clients can ill afford my work plain, let alone talk about adding gold to the equation.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
if a copy of the meeks book is nearby, there's an excellent explanation in that book. explained in such a way, anyone could do it.

I have Meeks book, and have tried to figure it out, but have not been able to do so yet.

I am hoping more explanation from different people point of view will strike a cord and I will be able to do it.

Thanks
Mike