Pattern Transfer

M

mcrapo

Sam

Having read some of the back postings, I am getting the feeling that you and some of the other engravers are transferring patterns using your Epson inkjet printers. Is this correct? If it is can you please clue me in on how to do this, or point me to the thread that has this information in it. I must have missed it somewhere.

Thanks
Mike

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
mcrapo,

There are at least 2 different transfer threads in the "Tips Archive." One is titled "New Transfer Tips" and the other "Great Inkjet Transfers." Many people use a product called Transfer Magic which is made by Tom White. Others use a similar solution that they make themselves with damar varnish and rubbing alcohol. The trick with the solutions is that you need a specific type of printer.

Todd Daniels in his thread about "New Transfer Tips" illustrates a way to transfer using an inkjet printer, a transparency, and a sharpie marker which is easier to get than making the solutions.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can also go to the "fine embellishment" forum on KnifeNetworks and there is a heap of threads on it. You may have to join to be able to search but that's easy to do. If you can't find what you need here you can look there.

Tom tells me that the important part is the type of ink. The epson printer model he used in his experiments trying to find the right combination uses StaBright ink. Don't quote me on the spelling. If the cartridge in your printer is that type of ink (it'll say so) you may have to just tweak the settings to get it to work.

Tom did a lot of science projects getting all this to work as far as inks and his formula are concerned. Other printers work but you just have to experiment. Marty Rabeno uses an HP I think and walm*** purchased transparencies. Those transparencies didn't work in my Epson C66.

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
I use a laser printer, or anything that uses dry toner. Toner is carbon and carnuba wax. Get the metal you want the pattern on very clean..no oil..I use TSP. put the print face down on the metal , tape it w/masking tape then dab the back with acetone, this melts the carnuba wax, and prints onto the metal and is darned hard to rub off..you may have to monkey with the setting in order to get a print that is not too dark. Too much toner will run. I learned this trick from one of my strudents and have used it ever since.

Tom White

Hi,

Tim, it is DuraBrite and any Epson using a ink tank that says DuraBrite and allows you to set the settings to black ink only will produce excellent results. There are many factors to make this work 100%.

If you want to send an email to transfersolutions@commspeed.net I will get you all of the information you need.

Tom

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I knew it had "brite" in it somewhere just wasn't sure about the front part of the word. Duhh. Thanks for chiming in Tom and correcting this.