Power Carver for Engraving

chuckmc

Right now all I have is a Turbocarver and I have been doing some engraving with it. Course it don't compare to the engraving I've seen on this site. Even with the metal cutting denial burs I don't get the smooth job as what I've seen on here. Well I am hoping to go to engraving school in June at the Murry State College. I was also wondering does someone have to be able to draw good to engrave. Or do most of yall use patterns scribed or copyed on the metal. I just can't get over the beautiful work I've seen on here.I am excited to be able to be among you Guys and the free information yall give out. Thanks for the advice hope to be able to help someone someday.Chuck

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello chuckmc!

We're glad you found us.

Is the turbocarver a rotary tool? If it is, that is why you can't get the bright distinct cuts you have been seeing on the forum. Most of the cutting here is with a different set of tools that cut away the line instead of grinding it away. Rotary is used for background removal, but not usually for the main part of the design.

Good luck with your engraving class and drop by often.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Chuckmc, learning to draw is a cornerstone in engraving imho. Start practice by drawing arcs and circles.
Just my opinion but I think most folks here will say the same. And practice as much as possible.
As Tira said, its very difficult to get the sweeping & tightly curled lines associated with engraving with a rotary tool. Gravers & chisels more closely resemble a cold chisel as it shears the metal away instead of grinding it out. Good luck with your engraving class.
Kent

DARNEW

chuckmc, drawing is the most important thing you can learn. The engraving you see here would not look very good if a kindergardner drew it. There are lots of engravers out there but the one thing that sets all there work apart is the time and extra effort put into there art. practice, practice, practice
Doug

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Murray State College

Could you share with us some info about the engraving program at Murray State College.
It is strictly an engraving class or is it an intaglio printmaking class?

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
One of the Very BEST things you can do is get Ron Smiths book on Scrolls.....

Whether or not you ever engrave scrolls, by learning "how" to do them, you will train your eye to recognize GOOD Design"....

Take any design...Turn it in every direction, and it should be "pleasing to the eye"
If it "Offends the Eye"....you will know it....
You may not know what's wrong with the design...
But You will know "something" ain't right..
The "EYE" knows...& will tell ya...... :) :)

(Think I heard that from guy named Hendricks.. a long time ago, & it's always been a great guide for me ..........Thanks Frank....:)

Hope this Helps a Little........
.......cj

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
mdngraver..
Are you talking about Murray State in Murray Kentucky.......??
I live 8 miles from it....and never heard of any engraving class......

Certainly not hand engraving....

......cj

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think he's talking about the college in Texas?

PDF] Murray State CollegeFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
of the various metal engraving mediums is enhanced by his versatility as a craftsman. Jake Perhsall - Graduate of Murray State College Gunsmith Program, ...
www.msc.cc.ok.us/pdfs/nra06.pdf - Similar pages

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks....
Yeah I guess ones a College...and the one here is a University
Too many Murrays fer me.. :) :)

.cj

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Chuck! Go for it!!!
FYI: You will (most likely) never be able to get the same results with a rotary tool compared to what you can do with a graver. There are times when you will want the rotary & it will be indispensable but (IMHO) it's never a replacement for a graver.
There are several good sites and forums out there (this one's my fav!) where you can get a look at tools and info on how to use them.
As a quickie definition, engraving (for our purposes here)is incising or cutting designs into metal with a chisel. The chisel, also known as a "graver" can be powered by any number of methods; hand, hammer, air or electricity being the most common.
Hope that is helpful,
Weldon

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chuck, let me say this about drawing. You would be surprised at the hidden talents within once you begin to exercise them. All humans have an acute eye for ballance, rythum, and grace. All you have to do is start working with it. It will develope. Most scroll designing has to do with rigid structural components. Once you learn what they are your drawing will improve drastically. Take drawing information seriously and be critical in your observations. For instance, my book describes how to break down a leaf structure and reassemble it. This is critical, and commiting the character of each line to memory and its relationship to the others in the design is key to understanding scrolls.
Sooooooo, if you think you don't have drawing skills, change your thinking and go for it!!........Keep us posted on your progress.........Ron S

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chuck!
You can get by for a few months by using pre made designs, but at some time you will have to do the drawing. There is a book called Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards that seems good, also Mr. Smith's book Advanced Drawing of Scrolls is a must. I am amazed how much my drawing skills have impoved, and I am not through eighter book yet.
Keep us posted!
pappy

chuckmc

Thanks for all the replies Guys and Girls. Yall all have great work. I checked out the Big Bill Lister site I am a big fan of Hank Williams, anyway The class is in Murry State College in Oklahoma. I don't know about any other one in Texas except Alpine Texas. This class starts On June 23rd thru July 4th. The Guys at a locale college told me about this Class that the NRA sponsers. I can't wait this Guy his name is David and he teaches Gun Smith classes at Kilgore College here in Texas. The class that I'm going to last 2 weeks and cost $500.00. I have heard alot of good things about this I hope I can learn something I truly want to learn to engrave. I am doing Gunstocks now and carving wildlife on the stocks. I am doing pretty good at this haven't sold anything yet got alot of compliments but nobody wants to buy anything. I want to learn to engrave so I can do the guns and motorcycles. Tira you have some pretty work on the bikes. Thanks Chuck

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
drawing is very essential. no rotary tool will produce high quality engraving. they are far too difficult to control and the burs simply don't cut the way gravers do. burs rotate at high speed, removing thousands of micro chips of material per second. a graver on the other hand simply cuts, usually, 1 single, very narrow line at a time. the depth and width of this line can be controlled somewhat, to alter the character and appearance of the engraving. this type engraving by its' very nature, is much more attractive to the eye than work produced by the rotary tool.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stock Carving

I am doing Gunstocks now and carving wildlife on the stocks. I am doing pretty good at this haven't sold anything yet got alot of compliments but nobody wants to buy anything.

Chuck,

It has been my experience over many years in the "gun world" that guns with carved stocks are not very popular in the USA. I have never been able to put my finger on exactly why this is since carved stocks are very popular in Germany and Austria. For what ever reason, gun collectors and shooters in America covet engraved guns but generally like their wood to have a great deal of figure, checkered, not carved. There are certainly exceptions such as Ron Smith's 73 Winchester shown on this forum. In that case the uniquely carved stock ties in with the elaborate engraving.

I don't know if you have tried it but I have found that there is an exception on the demand for carved stocks and that is among cowboy action shooters. I regularly compete in SASS competitions and frequently see carved stocks on the Uberti 66's and 73's as well as Marlins and 92 Winchesters. Also on the double barrels and 97 Winchesters. Many of the decorated stocks have been lazer cut by vendors who go to these matches but the real carved work is valued. Of course western motifs are most popular. There are many SASS clubs in Texas and if you haven't tried it you can find out where the clubs are by going to this link: http://www.sassnet.com/AClubs-TX-001A.php

Best wishes for your carving and future engraving,

Roger

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Chuck.......
Gun engraving and Good motorcycle engraving are miles apart, but persuing both can only make you a well more rounded engraver.......

Along with this forum, getting good hands on instruction will be the best thing you can do.......and then you get to practice for the rest of your life.......

Practice, practice, practice........... and never put your pencil down :)

Latest posts

Sponsors