question about glass engraving

S.Hartzell

hello all

I have been getting a lot of calls for glass engraving ihave not done this ,has anyone done glassengraving thanks s.hartzell

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glass Engraving

I haven't done any glass engraving but I went to pearl art supply the other day and saw that they were selling a nice book on glass engraving. Also, they had the tools for glass engraving, and sold the armour sandblasting kit to engrave stencils on glass. They also sell a glass bottle cutter to fashion your own glasses you can use for glass engraving.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi S.Harstzell,
Let's see... I do the glass engraving with a laser, an some times doing a mask an then sandblasting.
Other way could be with a rotary tool (Dremel or somthing like this) with a diamond tool. You shuold to have a very steady hand to do that.
Regards, Leonardo.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
a lot of things fall under the heading of what is called glass engraving. Probabably the purest definition is that work that is done with copper wheels and imbedded diamond abrasives. Mostly it is geometric designs, but some practitioners can do some great scenes with it.

beyond that, glass can be engraved via stipple method using carbide gravers using power assist engravers like GRS, Lindsay or Ngraver. It can also more easily be "engraved" using diamond dental burrs and rotorary tools such as the flex shaft Foredom or the much higher speed air driven dental type turbines.

Glass can also be "engraved" with sandblast method by masking the area with clear tape cutting out the design and blasting the exposed area.

I have used the last two methods extensively when I used to do designs for the music tour bus industry out of Nashville on the coach mirrors and windsheilds.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used to do quite a bit of glass engraving using a dental type rotary handpiece similar to the GRS Ultra 850 w/ diamond burs. You can do quite a bit on glass - even tempered glass - but practice on a scrap piece first. The rotary tool will want to pull to one side on you and you can control it very well if you are expecting it, but it can be a problem if you don't expect it. Any glass or eggshell engraving I do is in a cabinet that vents to the outside so I'm not breathing the very fine dust. Good luck!

A

ArtisanAttributes

I also have done quite a bit of Glass Engraving. I had a small abrasive etching business that I did anything from Glass to Granite. On-site as well as In-house. As mentioned, one way is to use the Rotary tools, However you have to be careful not to spark a diamond bur or your out a small chunk of change in a hurry. I have sent you PM on some additional information/

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have done lots of glass. large plate glass windows, to tiny little glass jewelry. if you go the rotary way, high rpm is almost a requirement for this work. i've maybe had the wrong tools, but i never was happy with glass work till i got to at least 50k rpm. my dental handpiece delivers a little over 400k rpm, and i love this little hummer for that type work. it doesn't want to skate or crawl over the surface. it only goes where your hand sends it !

hiloboy

i do a lot of glass work from cars to custom homes.. i have 2 NSK aqua hand pieces and small sand blaster to do the shading on most my work..like monk said i to tryed lots of hand pieces but have found the high speed to work the best for glass..i also have a old gravermister that i use for only my glass stipple work..save on my other hand pieces..there is a lot of that type of work out there go for it...

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glass Engraving Book

Diamond Point Glass Engraving Course & Patterns Includes Over 100 Engraving Patterns Item #14-0850
Copyright 1982, Eastern Publishing, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Glass Engraving Course & Patterns

Learn the art of diamond point glass engraving with easy to read illustrated step-by-step instruction book containing lots of "how-to" and finished project photos to stimulate your creativity. Choose from over 100 engraving patterns and designs! Includes: The History of Glass Engraving, Types of Glass, Proper Lighting, The Right Diamond Point for the job, and other helpful hints. Plus "Technique Sheets" which enable you to trace each of the 3 steps directly onto the glass using the proper diamond point and correct technique.

List Price: $10.80 US
$7.29 US

Glass Etching, Engraving ,Sandblasting ,Stone Carving artistry ...Learn how to do glass etching,engraving,sandblasting,stone carving,inlay work,gunstocks,egg art, antlers,and start your own business with SCM's high speed ...
www.scmsysteminc.com/ - 30k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Last edited:

magicmaker

S. Hartzel;
I have had a licensed crystal engraving business since 1975 and have utilized virtually all methods for engraving various types of glass.

I began creation of a crystal engraving "how to" DVD last year and work on the many images/digital movies as I find time. As with most things I do, I am in no hurry to get it done. It will be similar to my "Introduction to Metal Spinning" CD-ROM. I work on the upcoming crystal engraving DVD only a few hours per month. Retirement allows me the luxury to do with my time as I please without needing to answer to anyone.

You may see several examples of my copper wheel crystal engravings here:

http://www.jamesriser.com/Engraving/RiserEngraving.htm

If you have specific questions, perhaps I can help.
Jim

Latest posts

Sponsors