question for western engravers

smays

I have in my posession a three piece buckle with the brand HD on the back. Does anyone know who the maker is? I will post a picture in a minute.

Just curious
Shawn

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn~ I don't have a clue as to who HD could be. However, it definitely is a spin off of a buckle set that Ethan Jacczak of Skyline silversmiths designed way back in the early 80's. In fact I think I have a copy of the original art work. I'll have to dig around and see if I can come up with it.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

smays

I didnt realize skyline orginated that style. That was before I really started paying attention i guess. I always think of bob berg.

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn~ It is my opinion that Bob Berg is not fully original. I knew another silversmith/engraver by the name of Hugh Weaver that moved to Australia and helped Bob Berg build up his business there. When Bob Berg brought his business to America, An awful lot of his product already looked familiar to me. The fact of the matter is Bob was a better promoter and business man than Hugh Weaver. I haven't seen or talken to Hugh since the early 90's, but if I remember correctly, three of his biggest influences were Dan Murray, Mark Drain and Al Peccetti. Hugh's design work is equivalent and in some cases better than his mentors in my opinion. If you google his name and look hard enough you can track down some of jis work on the web.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
BOB BERG Look at his product closely. Since I do not have anything good to say about his product, I will stop typing.

Latest posts

Sponsors