Question???

smays

Yes... it's a newbe question. I just received all my equipment and havent had an extremely long time to play with everything but noticed when I am engraving, I have to have the angle of attack relatively low in order to not dig in.... 45 degree face 15 heel. I'm using a really tiny heel like Sam suggested in the sharpening video. Is my heel too small? Do I need to change my heel angle to not have my handpiece so low. Regardless... I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How "low" your hand is to the engraving is due to the heel angle, not how large or small the heel is. If you want to elevate your hand from the engraving try a steeper heel angle like 20 degrees.

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
This will be a case of the blind leading the blind but I had a similar situation awhile back and it SEEMED like it was a case of the heel too small. I THINK what was happening in my case was that i was cutting too deep for the heel and the heel could no longer support or counter the down force created by the metal pushing on the face and the tool would dive. In my case, I went to a slightly longer heel and all was well. It may sound like I was hogging out a trench but that was not the case. The cut was not overly deep, my heel was just too small (it seemed). Perhaps try a longer heel (.0010") or cutting a finer (shallower) line. That was my experience, NOW, after saying all that, I'll be interested in hearing the right answer from those that actually know what thet're talking about.:)

Cody

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When you are "too low" are you cutting a smooth line? If so then you need a higher heel then if that's making you feel uncomfortable. If not, then your heel is messed up or you are hehehehehe What are you trying to cut? I like a 55 degree face and a 15 degree heel. But that's what i like . Everyone is slightly different. Also depends on the size of yur hand and fingers as to what you're comfortable with.

smays

I feel like when my angle of attack is extremely low...I tend to skid off when doing fine lines.... this is from inexperience and probably from forcing the graver instead of letting it do the work. Does that sound like what I am doing??

Shawn

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I have large hands so I have to watch how I grip the monarch. Shawn you might want to look at the way you grip the hand piece.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As Tira stated, the angle of your heel is how high your hand will be for your graver to cut. The length of the heel dictates how deep and wide you can go. If you have a very small microscopic heel that's what it's for very fine lines not wide bright cuts. If you cut deeper than your heel the graver will dive in. A very small heel takes a nice light touch. Definitely relax let the graver do the work as Marty says.
Mike

Latest posts

Sponsors