Rehab Colt

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi folks!

Here is one of the first things I did post surgery (herniated disc in my neck). I have quite a backlog but decided I needed to do some cutting to get my rhythm back so, I did this Colt. (By the way, it Was very therapeutic!) It is engraved in what I call a background-less pattern. (You will notice the lack of background in the scrolls) and is finished in antique nickel with fire blue screws

Enjoy,

Weldon

Attachments

• Colt 1.jpg
    Colt 1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Colt 2.jpg
    Colt 2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Colt 3.jpg
    Colt 3.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Colt 4.jpg
    Colt 4.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 184

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon, nice display! (Glad to see that your therapy is working)
Helfricht style, huh?
It's funny how this particular "no-background" style seems to be a shortcut when it actually takes a great deal of thought to pull it off...........and you sure did that!!!!!

Thanks for posting it here.

Brian

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nicely done. The hammer treatment looks familiar. Did you post a gun that was done with a similar design a while back? I like it a lot.

Peter

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Brian!

Peter E: Yes, it's a design I frequently use on Colt single actions and BP guns.

Weldon

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon,
Nice colt thanks for sharing, you captured the style scrollwork of the period. Looks like your theripy is paying off.
Thanks
Rick

Patternweldor

Hi Weldon, That Colt really stands on its own,what a pattern! it follows the gun so well, it has that great early look,you did an unbelievable job in the layout and the cutting. I really appreciate you showing this it gives a person much inspiration!!

Thank you
Chris

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work Weldon, Thanks for posting! Hope the neck is coming along, Dang disk! I've had 9 back surgeries, two disk in my lower back removed. It's a pain getting over it but God is Good! Hang in there! Your work is great! I love looking at it! Dwayne

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good looking gun Weldon. One interesting thing I have noticed about it. Your barrel pattern lays out from the front to the rear. Usually this is done in reverse by most people. You pulled it off beautifully.
Marty

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon, beautiful job on the Colt. I have a question about how you lay on a design for a project with curved areas , barrel, cylinder etc. I used a white layout similar to Chinese white & the steel had "freckles" on it after the job was done. What's your process?
thanks for showing, good luck with your therapy
Kent

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kent,

Thank you & sorry for the delay in responding, been out of town for a while! I use ink and tape transfers for patterns like you see on this Colt. I save (& have over the years) patterns that I like on a steel plate. They are then available for use at a later date. I can mix & match these for the task at hand which speeds things up quite a lot for production type engraving. When I'm doing one-off kind of work I draw designs directly onto the steel with the following method: First I coat the steel surface lightly with oil using the tip of my finger then using a little brush I dust the surface with talcum powder. This leaves a thin, milky-white coating which shows pencil lead pretty well. If I don't like what I draw I can wipe it off & redraw until I do like it. This is a two-edged sword since if I'm not careful it is also possible to unintentionally erase the design. I use a hammer & chisel for 95% of my work but am also familiar with airtool use & suspect that this technique may not lend itself as well to that method of engraving.

Hope that helps,

Weldon

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi weldon .. great looking colt and very good engraving I do like your style and lay out of the pattern .. ron p.

Latest posts

Sponsors