Reno, basic info for visitors

James Wark

Hello All,
I thought I might start a thread on other areas of interest in Reno. Who knows the best places to eat, the best bar or things to do and see. I sure do miss the Harrahs/ Harolds ? gun collection. What about the different shows and entertainment. I have always enjoyed the antique shops and pawn shops. What does everyone do after the FEGA show hours.
See ya in Reno
Jim

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Jim, I have noticed over the years of the FEGA show that the newbies to the show are a bit intimidated by the skill levels and such, but I think this forum is eliminating that. The old timers tend to clank together, as we are like magnets by now and family, but all of you first timers don't be afraid to engage and don't be intimidated. It is the greatest bunch of guys you will ever meet. We usually get together in various groups for eating and a few drinks and such if we aren't to worn out by the busy day. There is plenty of socializing....See you in Reno
Ron S

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron,
I'm just foamin' at the mouth to see that '73 Winchester you've been beatin' on. It won't be long now!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Howdy Tim, are you coming to Reno? It will be making it's debut there. I have lots of pictures but I need to get some better quality ones. Particularly highlight pictures. I will be transferring them to the computer today and sorting them out. Most of them I did on the spot, not having time or space to set up my "light box", so I will do that now and get some better ones. Most of the pictures have to do with the progression of the piece. Don't have good final pictures yet. It is supposed to get warmer in the next few days and I may get outside with my light box and do some final pictures with better light.
have you started on your 73 yet?

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
James,

Ron is right. The restaurants in the Legacy usually have several groups of engravers during mealtime. The American Bladesmith Society has a show, also in the Legacy, on Friday and Saturday. SCI is a great show to attend, as well, but I don't recall what admission costs. And of course, our banquet on Saturday night is a great way to spend some time with friends, new and old.

David

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With the show hours and various meetings I seldom get a chance to get out of the Silver Legacy but there usually is a "corner bar" somewhere in there where you'll find engravers swaping stories and lies. Ron brought up a really good point. Many of us have been meeting like this for years and have become a family. We may group together but that doesn't mean we can't make the family bigger! Don't be afraid to step in. The hectic schedule doesn't seem to allow as much "after glow" as in the past but look around and you'll find a group somewhere.

El Dorado

Hello one and all, I am not even a newbie here but I am starting my tool collection and plan to be one soon. I am lucky enough to live close to Reno and will be attending this event just to see the best of the best. I am not sure what to expect, but sure would enjoy meeting some of the folks I have been lurking around for awhile. Untill recently, I used to live in Reno so I know a few of the places outside the Legacy. I will be the big bald (on purpose) guy with a goate and a name badge titled "newbie"
I am looking forward to meting some of you "elite members"

Jim,

I went to the show last year and loved it! The three hotels are attached, so you can roam around if you have time and find many different places to eat. There is a list in the hotel room. I remember one place (I think it was called The Rennaissance or something) that had a large buffet for dinner that was really cheap and included prime rib and crab legs and such. They also had a nice breakfast buffet. They also have bars and even a place to get a massage if you need it. ;) I went with my bother so of course we had to roam around a bit. There really was no need to even leave, I don't think we stepped outside once except to get in the hot tub on the roof. :D (Who said it had to be all business??) hehe Anyway, wish I could go but it's just not in the cards right now. I quit my job in September to stay home with the kids and once I finally got into a schedule, the holidays crept up on me, so I'm just now getting back into practicing my engraving again. So hopefully you'll be seeing me on here more often now and with a few pieces to show here soon. :)

I have many pictures from my trip to Reno, including the show and the restaurants and such. If you would like to see them let me know and I will send them to you.

Have fun!
Miranda

James Wark

Hello,
Thanks for all the info, I have been to the show before but am looking to meet more people and get involved.
Actually the first show I went to was about 1984-6.
Ron, looking forward to seeing the winchester,you gave me some good advice and encouragement about 20 years ago.
Miranda, I didnt know about the hot tub,will have to check that out.
David, I am planning on the SCI show on Friday, and need to get to the blade show to. It will be a busy weekend.
Rex, look forward to seeing you again since the GRS class 2 years ago.

And everyone else, it will be a great time and I hope to meet you all. We should have a contest who can find the most cafe members at the show, look for the pins!
Jim

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
My wife found the spa the first thing. She sat in a hot tub got a body wrap and then hit the slot machines. We found a bar just around the corner from the elevators that was pretty nice. Last year was my second trip to the show. First one was in 1987. Dont remember to much of that trip. Last years trip was great. I never left the hotel complex. There is so much to do and see right there. Show, bar, Show, bar, blackjack table. Great Vacation. See ya all soon.

Sandy

Well, I guess I didn't have to write all that I did...I could've just said "Hot tub on the roof!" and been done!! ;) hehehe

Yes, it's right outside the gym area of the Silver Legacy....very nice at night. Even if it's freezing, get in. You won't feel the cold at ALL when you get out....it's great stuff... :p You also can see the little monorail thing that runs around the Circus Circus from there. Ahh....I wish I could go.... :( Guess I'll start saving up for next year's show... :D

Have fun and have a couple of drinks for me!!

-m-

Sponsors