Reno pics

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Tim,
Those are good pictures of Ron Smith award winning rifle with the Indian War motif.
I was wondering how he got the Indian bead strands worked into the design?
This was my first show and it was worth every cent to get to it from Ontario, Canada.

Jim

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All you have to do is ask Jim. Are you talking about the ivory inlays or the silver ones? The silver ones I think maybe. The silver was inlayed in strips for each section of silver with gold strip inlays seperating the silver to make the pattern. The little red "beads" in the design was copper inlayed into the silver strips. The silver was then engraved to make it look like bead work.

the wood work inlays were ivory, osage orange wood, and buffalo horn sepetating the ivory segments to make the pattern. the pattern on the ivory was done with scrimshaw techniques making the design look like bead work to match the silver ones on the steel.

It was a sceaming nightmare job. I was glad to finally get it done. I have about 2500 hours in it and eight months of my life so I'm goiing fishing when the weather gets warmer. The sandbass will be running soon.

I took progression pictures all through the project. Do you think my friends would be interested in another book from me? I am working on "Making of a Masterpiece" and descriptions of my proceedures. I don't have any idea if and when i will get through with it. I have a long way to go, but it will show stages and steps of the rifles development from begining to end. Writing is not one of my finer points and I make lots of mistakes. I hope my pictures are adequate, but that remains to be seen when I get into writing and transferring the pictures into print.....we will see......Ron S

I hope this was clear enough for you to understand how I did it.

James Wark

Ron, That was is a really beautifull rifle. I am sure the book you are describing would be an instant hit as where the others. I would like to pre order one now if I could.
Jim

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ron,
We'll all be a lot richer if you do finish the book. If I can cut out the middle man and put my
order in directly for No.001. You have my order. This rifle is a tour de force of the engravers
art. The stock is equally well thought out. The balance of the Motif in the major sections is just right. This riffle has a flow to it that draws the eye to seek all sides.
You had my Vote for the engravers choice award. Please, do finish the book.
Jim

ps. See what I mean by what is put forward in Ron's answere. The who show was like that for everyone
I talk to. You all need to go to Reno next year.

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
"Do you think my friends would be interested in another book from me? "

Uhhhh........Ron,
I'm pretty sure when you write another anything, you won't have any trouble with any lack of any interest......
I can't get enough of your work, and you have been a great source of insperation for many years,........THANK YOU...........

Now get to work on that new book.... right after ya get yer fill of those fish......:) :)

.......cj

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Sam Welsh shot gun got my second vote for engravers choice award. Sorry I don't have a
picture. If Sam could put one on, you'll see what I mean. This engraving has great finess
and balance. I attended Sam's class and was really impressed with how he covered the
subject of inlay. Inlay soft iron wire was something I hadn't considered in a decorative
element. I would like to know where he got the diamond nail files for taking down the
extra metal. These tapes are going into my library even though I was there taking notes.
The lecture series was outstanding.

Jim