rotory handpeice

cwbyengraver

I am looking to buy a rotory handpeice but i dont know witch one i have used the grs but not the turbo carver smc power carver can someone point me in the right direction thanks::confused:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There were some posts on Steve Lindsays' forum about a very inexpensive Russian made high speed handpiece. Several people mentioned buying one and being pleased with it.

You may try that, as the GRS handpiece made by NSK was around $400 if I recall. I do have the GRS, and it is great....but NOT cheap.

Good Luck,
Peter

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
My GRS catalog has the NSK E-MAX Electric handpiece at about $1000 and the
Ultra 850 air handpiece at a bout $530.
I purchased the Russian air handpiece from Ebay for about $70 (it does not
have a foot control). It works fine but I am not sure how long it will last
before it wares out since I don't think that it is as high a quality as the GRS
unit. It does require lubrication and the GRS unit does not. It is, however, a good
place to start for someone, like myself, who is new to engraving to
gain experience in rotary hanpieces. If you want the information on where to
purchase the Russian unit on Ebay I'm sure that I can dig it out for you.
In the near future I will probably be purchasing one of the GRS units but I am not
sure which one is best. I would really appreciate it if members of the community
would discuss their experiences and the behavioral differences between the two units.

Les Schowe

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I have a Russian made high speed handpiece, from company "Sapphire". I bought it around 1 year ago on eBay about $64. It works good, but not more then good. It needs daily lubrication. I thinking about buying Ultra 850 air handpiece.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
cwbyengraver,

I have an old paragraver handpiece (same one as profitablehobbies.com sells) and the GRS version. The paragraver handpiece cuts fine, but requires oil and it is messy. Not only does it spray a fine mist in the air that I don't want to breath, but the oil seems to get all over everything if you are working for any length of time. The GRS version is oil-less and works great. I've never had a problem with it and I've had it a couple of years. It cleans up nicely and does not have the oil spray/mist problems. Both will cut, it just depends on how much fuss you want to deal with.

Andrew Biggs

I'm with Dmitriy on this one. I brought the Saphire Ukranian handpiece as well. All I can say about it is that it's OK. It works alright on the softer metals but I found on gun metals and stainless it was a bit underpowered and more of an exercise in frustration and find I can dig the background out with small flats faster.
I've had a chance to play with the GRS 850 and there is a BIG difference in performance. The 850 just chewed the metal out with no problem..............and it was super quiet.

Trouble is that it's always tempting to go the cheaper road but we still only get what we pay for.

The 850 is on my shopping list for next year.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew Biggs

Hi Les
Yip, I tried the Max and that was even better again. The Rolls Royce version if you like. I only got to play with it so someone that has used it more can probabley advise you better.

A good friend of mine put it this way............."You know you've just about paid the right amount when your eyes begin to water"

I know there are others on the market that people swear by but I've had no personal experience with them so I can't make any comments about them.

It's been my own experience that you are better off paying more and getting a really good tool that does the job hassle free rather than mucking about and settling for less. That just leads to frustration and if anything, just holds you back.

In saying that...........small flats will still do the job perfectley fine and have done for centuries. The rotary certainley speeds things up quite considerabley and can really chew out the metal if you want to go really deep and fast. At the end of the day it's just like any other tool, an inanimate object. It's the mind and hand that drives it that makes the difference.

Cheers
Andrew

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While not nearly at the level of many of the engravers that participate on the forums, I have been using rotary handpieces for well over 30 years for various crafts on many different materials. I have a Foredom high speed bench grinder with a flexible shaft (max rpm 14,000) a Dremel (max rpm around 25,000), a Foredom hanging flexible shaft model H (max rpm 22,000) and the GRS Ultra 850 (rpm 300,000 - 400,000).

The slower speed tools have their advantages when torque and pressure are needed such as sanding and cleaning up rust on metals and that type of application but for tasks such as backround removel the GRS/NSK is far superior.

While the rotary slower speed tools work, OK and get the job done if meticulously careful, they are absolutely NO comparison to the GRS/NSK. I haven't used other tools in the speed level of the NSK but it is in a completely different league than the Foredom, Dremel etc. that are not compressor driven.

Just MY experience FWIW.

Peter

Latest posts

Sponsors