Help, please: ruger 357

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tips or info like what? Engrave away. Rugers can have somewhat hard cylinders and barrels, and there are stories of unengravable loading gates (mostly the stainless models), but all of them that I have engraved have been just fine. :thumbsup:

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Kfengraver, I just engraved a 45 Colt / 45 ACP convertible Old Ruger Vaquero (100% coverage). It seemed to me to be harder than a SS Uberti single model p clone. The only problems I had concerning the hardness was the hammer. The sides of the hammer where fine but the back and especially the point at the top of the hammer where it narrows are so hard that my tip broke after each small cut. I did dub my point after sharpening on a 600 grit diamond lap (GRS powerhone). I dub on a fine or medium india stone from brownells by gently pulling the tip, face side down to make a "light scratch" mark on the stone, then I do the same for each heel. This is only how I do it and it works for me except on the small area leading up to the hammer where your thumb cocks (didn't fracture, just dulled bad). Hopefully, if I've told you wrong, or if someone has a better way to dub a point they'll chime in.
The hardest thing for me engraving this Ruger after doing soft cap and ball pistols was getting used to the lack of forgiveness of hard materials. The Uberti SS showed me I needed to learn how to sharpen my graver for hard materials by dubbing my point. The ruger was harder and I had to adjust to a smaller window of adjustment as far as my angle of attack was (how high or low I hold the back of my graver). I had to start really steep compared to cutting on soft cap and balls. My graver geometry is 60 face and 25 degree heels. Again, this works for me after trying lots of different angles. Lesser face and heel angles would not hold a point for long, they ussually fractured.
I've only been engraving less than 2 yr's and ussually don't offer advice but thought this might help you. Good luck.:biggrin:

Last edited:

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
KSnyder, I was afraid someone would say that!:eek:
That's why I've been laying low. Workin' an cuttin', workin' an cuttin'.:handpiece:
My little $90.00 Kodak easyshare broke about a year ago. My friend's in-law is a professional photographer and is supposed to get with me and help me find a good used camera and set-up and help me with taking good pic's.
I'm not making any promises but I'll try to borrow a camera and try take some decent pic's of the gun.
I have been wanting to ask if anyone out there has ever annealed a ruger frame before? or knows if it can be done?

kfengraver

michael thank you very much for your input. i myself like a c-max graver with a 60 face and 20 heel. i have been engraving about 2 yrs also yet i get very littel time at the block. i and a full time goldsmith and allways busy i wish we had more good jewelers in our shop. we went from 4 to 2 me and trainee. and the work flow has not slowed down. i try to engrave as much as i can. wish i had more time. oh i would like to see pics also. thank you agin

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
kfengraver, I forgot to mention but I switched to c-max gravers as well, but still had to dub my point on hardened frames. I now use my NGraver carbide for wriggle tools, stippling, and softer metals.
I'll try to post some pic's if I can get a camera and overcome my embarrassment!:eek:
I try to engrave or draw everday myself. My true love as far as engraving goes is firearms. I was never able to engrave enough on practice plates or knives. When I started on firearms I started engraving 16+ hrs a day on my days off. Some days I can only get 30 mins of drawing in. We just have to stick with it and keep cutting!
Hopefully others in our position with work / obligations vying for our time, will become 1/10th as good as the engravers we all admire on this site.:bow: