Ruger p89

Dragonsfire

Morning all! There seems to be a slight lull in my schedule, so I started looking for the next project. I have several carry guns that make the trip into the public eye. By far the ugliest and bulkiest is my Ruger P89. This is not a pretty handgun, functional, but not pretty. Brushed Stainless on an alloy frame. The frame is not the issue. As seen in the pictures attached, the slide has large flat sides and top, with slight contours. To me, these seem to be crying out for some scroll work! I've read here and other sites that Rugers are notorious for being hard as glass. This presents a problem to me. When dad passed I received most of his Ruger collection. The 3 No.1's, .223, .243, and 7mm Mag being the favorites. These 3 will NOT be touched until my skill level reaches a much higher point. So I thought some McKenzie style scroll might be acceptable on my P89, just to give the Ruger metal a stab. Please, any thoughts? I have to get my toes wet sooner or later, might as well be on one of mine that can be left unseen. Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• ruger_3.jpg
    ruger_3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 163
  • ruger.jpg
    ruger.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 162

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know how these cut, but I am curious as well since I have one that I would like to do. You might want to find an inconspicuous place inside the slide to make a test cut. My guess is that at the least you will want to go to carbide with a steeper then normal angle and a light radius on the heal.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
as roycrofton said, nothing beats the old "hidden scratch test". this will usually give you an idea of what you're working with. but beware- you may encounter "hard spots" here and there on the gun.

Latest posts

Sponsors