Critique Request Scope Practice Plate

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
I finally got my scope set up and this plate is my first engraving with the scope. I can see there is a learning curve when using the scope but man oh man what a difference in being able to see. So much more fun when you're not guessing where the cut will begin.
A few more things I've learned....
Still need more practice with tool control
Things in the scope look larger than they actually are.
I still need lots more practice and study on my shading.
I see two places that I am pleased with. The bad still outnumber the good.
My real test will be when I engrave my hoofpick. Not there yet but getting closer.
I included the pictures of the practice plates I cut using the Optivisor and the scope for comparison.
So have at it....I want to hear it all.
Thanks
Jerry

Attachments

• Practice #2 002.jpg
    Practice #2 002.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Scope practice 003.jpg
    Scope practice 003.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 164

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jerry

What a difference seeing what you are cutting makes!!!! And yes, small things look very large. Be careful with that as sometimes you can overwork areas . Keep checking with your normal vision to make sure it's looking right to the naked eye. After a while you will get used to it.

Well done!!! You have a few bumps and things as you can see but overall it's not too bad. A lot of that will (or should be) ironed out with practice.

Here are a few things to think about.

Cutting finesse............ When you cut your main scroll, slightly lean/roll the graver to the OUTSIDE of the scroll. Just slightly, don't overdo it.

When cutting leaves.......... wherever possible cut from the bottom of the leaf to the top. In other words the same direction as the leaf is growing. As you cut and get about half way up the cut then lean/roll your graver to the INSIDE of the leaf. This will flare your cut and give a bit of personality to the leaf. Don't overdo it. After a while it will just happen naturally.......I've drawn that in red so you get an idea of it.

Shading..........I have altered the shading on 4 of the inside leaves only. Compare your original photo and the slightly altered one of mine........... Follow the contour of the leaf when shading. Now shading is a personal thing and there are lots of variations. I suggest you look really closely at Sam's work and Phil Coggan's work. They are masters at it........but the principle remains the same. Always follow the contours of major leaves.

Cross hatching..........is always a lot lighter than the shading cuts. Just barely visible but enough to help add form and shade/intensity to the leaf.

The background....(it's hard to tell how it's been done in the photo)...never skimp on the background. It's just as important as everything else. Relieve, making sure it's as flat as possible.........then stipple or texture evenly. If you accidentally cut into a leaf or stipple over an edge..........then simply go back and very gently recut to tidy it up.

Now, that should keep you going for a while :)

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• jerry-1.jpg
    jerry-1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
I remember when I first got my scope, all my engraving went micro in size and I had to learn like andrew said and look at it w my naked eye. Within a few weeks my engraving had progressed light years ahead of what I was doing before.

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew and Jeff.
I'll work on lean/rolling my graver in the places you suggested.
I printed your changes. I have a few copies of the scroll that I will redraw the shading on before recutting .
What kind of shading would you suggest for the gob of leaves/scrolls on the upper left hand corner? To me, that section looks like it doesn't fit with the larger scroll. I may try to redraw this section to something that looks right to me.
The background on my scope cut plate was stippled only, not relieved. I did relieve the first optivisior plate. That was my first time to relieve any background material and need more practice on that but I understand the need to keep the background looking as good as the cutting.
Thanks again Andrew, I appreciate the time you spend helping not just me but anyone else who has questions. How do you find time to do things for yourself?

Jerry

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jerry

No worries :)

I'm very pleased that you are thinking of redrawing that top left hand leaf mass. It shows that you are critically analyzing your own work and that is the key..................it's too big and out of proportion to everything else. Basically you make the leaves of a similar mass. If they are too big then you break them down. They don't have to all be the exact same size as a bit of variation gives personality to the work........ but you don't want 2 extremes of tiny and huge.

Always keep one thing in mind when you are doing this kind of thing..............if it doesn't look right.......then it isn't!! You may not know what the problem is but you know it isn't right. Developing a discerning eye is very important.

When you are shading, think contours of the shape (leaves) and shadows. If in doubt draw with pencils first before cutting to see what it's going to look like.

Start relieving your backgrounds from now on. You may as well start getting used to it from the start. It makes a big difference to the work. Also relieving backgrounds brings on its own set of problems that you may as well start working through.

From now on make your practice plates count..........prep them and take out scratch marks. Cut borders and treat it like its important, because all of these small things make an engraver, not just the cutting of metal. It also helps focus your mind to the work at hand because all of a sudden you are making a time investment of it and the detail matters.

Doing things for myself............hah!! I've been running around like a headless chook getting stuff out for Christmas. Only one more job and then I pull the pin and start thinking about Christmas stuff for home and family arriving.

Cheers
Andrew