Scope stand question???????????????

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Have any of you tried one of these articulating boom stand for a scope? If you have how do you like it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270149312170&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

I recently acquired a new scope from a dear friend. It is a Carl Zeiss stereo zoom scope. Told you he was a dear friend!!!!!!!!!!:)

I have played with it and I think it will work quite well for engraving but I need to put it on a new stand. The way the base is made on the current stand I can just screw off the base plate and slide the table off the rack and pinion adjustment shaft. Then I can machine a simple bracket and screw the adjustment shaft onto that and I will have a boom stand mount.

I have three of the off white articulated stands from the microscope store and I like them just fine. The problem is that you can't get that stand from them without a scope attached. I found the ones above from Precision World I think it is but I don't have any experience with that particular stand.

If any of you can relate your experiences with these stands I would appreciate it.

BTW those little arms sticking out are positionable lights with dimmers.:cool:

Attachments

• scope1.jpg
    scope1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 102

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Ray,
I keep hearing fabulous stuff on your classes, keep up the good work.
In regards to the stand, That looks like one I had from the microscope store and I have used them, they have an allen that holds the post to the base which needs to be tightened several times until it finally seats, I would say in my experience, it is the weak point. besides that, it works well. I have been told they also have the same stand with a c clamp arrangement. I think if you ask for Danny at the microscope store and send him the pic he may be able to get these without a scope attached. If that is the same model I had, I can say that overall they are good pieces of equipment.
Barry Lee Hands

Last edited:

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
No experience with this stand.

You'd want to screw the base down. It looks like it's designed to hold a scope. How much weight will it bear at 2/3 or full extension? How rigid?

Weight and sturdy construction add tremendously to the stability of the image while you're working.

This is appears lighter duty than the GRS Acrobat, but it may work very well.

I have an Acrobat stand, and love it. if I didn't already have the Acrobat, I'd look closer at this one. I would want to look at one in person, unless someone pipes up with a good review.

Latest posts

Sponsors