Critique Request scroll attempt

scroughstock

I would like some honest critique on this drawing.
Please excuse the terrible quality of the picture. My scanner decided to go down tonight, that and the drawing is a little muddy because my hands like to drag across the paper when I draw.

Attachments

• scan scroll 002.jpg
    scan scroll 002.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Scrough

Here's a few tips for you and I've attached a rough as guts drawing for you to look at.

At this stage keep your scroll within the border lines....................it's not compulsory but it gives you boundaries to work within. Try the fancy stuff later.

Scroll heads.............avoid the wedge shape from thin to thick as it just doesn't look right.

Leaves...........Fill the scroll with leaves. space them evenly and pay particular attention to the form of the leaf.

Scroll backbone..........with this type of backbone you want it taped so it curves in gradually (Like looking down a spiral staircase as FEGARex says) This is only one way to draw a scroll backbone and is easier to start with.

Have you got Ron Smith's book about scroll design??

Keep it up..........it's a good start. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• scruff.jpg
    scruff.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 142

scroughstock

Thanks Andrew,
Yes, I have the 1st book of his, but I think having people actually point out problems will help.
I will redraw tonight and try to repost it.

Have a Lion Red on me

Cheers,
Shane
:beerchug:

Last edited:

spank7357

Elite Cafe Member
vermilion, ohio (on lake erie) and Inverness, Fla.
Shane, Drafting suppliers usually carry an eraser dust bag that you dab over the paper dropping some fine eraser particles that actually clean your work as you move over it. Also, the natural oils in our hands often contaminate the paper surface so a quick wash is beneficial. I also have both Smith books and they help immensly in my learning curve. There are a lot of newbies like us and by posting your early efforts we are able to follow the ever-so-instructive Andrew Bigg's advise on your "progression". Hence, we all learn something. Thanks for posting, and good luck.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i would also say as a design, your border is way too thick. narrow it down, allowing perhaps more room to develop your scroll design. just my thought.

kellyj994

Shane, Drafting suppliers usually carry an eraser dust bag that you dab over the paper dropping some fine eraser particles that actually clean your work as you move over it. Also, the natural oils in our hands often contaminate the paper surface so a quick wash is beneficial. I also have both Smith books and they help immensly in my learning curve. There are a lot of newbies like us and by posting your early efforts we are able to follow the ever-so-instructive Andrew Bigg's advise on your "progression". Hence, we all learn something. Thanks for posting, and good luck.

Thanks you for the post.