Critique Request Scroll Drawing

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Well i have been practiceing my scroll drawing every chance i get. I relize that its still not good (negative space still isent right, And my shadeing isent very good thats what stands out to my eyes anyway and im sure theres much more) But i think i am improveing?? Any way im at a point that i need fresh eyes to have a look.
I appercaite any help yall have!!
Thanks abunch
Steve

Andrew Biggs

Hi Steve

You have a few good things going on there but it all needs a bit of tweaking.

Here's some of my own personal thoughts about your drawing. Please take them as that as others may see other things or disagree. They are as rough as guts but you should get the idea.

The thing that really hits me are your leaves...........the way you are curling them isn't working and I would siuggest that you stop doing that.........draw plain leaves till you can get the shapes right.....and then start curling them.

Keep your leaf sizes roughly the same size as well.

You are also extending the base of the leaf coming out from the scroll backbone too far, sort of like it is wrapping around. This dosn't look good and makes everything look heavy and cumbersome

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Steve223.jpg
    Steve223.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 154

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew i see what you mean On all your points i will go back to the drawing board and try and incorparate the things you suggest.
I just built me a real drawing table and ill give it a work out lol.
I appercaite your help...Thank you.
Steve

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Steve, Andrew makes alot of good points. Here's something I learned from Ron SMiths advanced scrool book. Try filling am area like a triangle, or tapered square or actually what ever shape you choose and fill it w scroll design. Draw and redraw your scroll circles until they look pleasing, then go in and add your leaves and such. Flow is a key word here, everything should flow smoothly. I think you already know your bigger mistakes and practice makes perfects, they definatly look alot better than my first attempts.

If you don't have Ron's book I highly reccomend it.

Cheers