Critique Request Second folder

ARM

Elite Cafe Member
Now this is a much better Knife !!!
A Kershaw, Lock Back.
The first was quite difficult and hard to cut with the Gravers chipping and losing edge fast.
The omitted border allowance was rectified on the next knife as U will see on the thread following.
Experience is the best teacher !!!
Thanks in anticipation of all comments.
These are most welcome.
aRM
PS : Have included 3 pics so's the faults may be seen better !!!

Attachments

• P1000107.jpg
    P1000107.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 117
  • P1000174.jpg
    P1000174.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 82
  • P1000190.JPG
    P1000190.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 67

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello ARM!
It is calming to see, i am not the only one, who made the typical mistakes beginners are doing :)

My best advice to you: go back to paper and pencil
Work out two or three nice designs. Show them here, you will get very helpful advices. Then rework the designs. Show them again till everything looks good.

Then pick up the graver and do some practice plates with the theme. While doing that, have a look at the wonderful tutorial Chris have posted (tapering shading lines etc.)

Show them here and practice again till every thing looks good.

At last do it on the objects, you like to engrave primarily (and show them here :) ).

Hope that helps, Mario.

ARM

Elite Cafe Member
MARIO
Hello there Good Friend.
That was the first mistake, besides numerous others, not posting our sketches here.
Like SIR JOHN, THE JUDICIOUS has seconded, You could not have put it any better. We need to get our designing right. Its back to the basics and hopefully we can build up from there.
Your sequence of working and getting things right makes lots of sense.
We definitely will heed all You Good Folks well-meaning advices.
A most appreciative THANK YOU for the input.
LORD BLESS
aRM

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i tend to enjoy bold design (usually), but, this as a design, i see this as "overpowering" or perhaps "highjacking" the knife upon which it is engraved. i think a design should compliment or add to the object, rather than the opposite. but this is just a personal opinion, not something written somewhere in stone.

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
keep posting my friend, the folks on this forum are great and do give GREAT advice and help. I know that they have helped me and I am sure they will be thier for all of us when needed. Ethelbert.