Silver metal prep

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello everyone. I was just wondering what the normal sequence for preping silver to engrave was. I usually start w/ 220 or 400 depending on the surface and switch to a 400 belt, then a 600 belt. I then move on to hand wet/dry 1000, then 1500, and on to 2000. After all of this I buff w/ red rouge on a wheel to get the mirror look. This always works, but I was wondering if this was overkill, or if anyone has figured out an easier way. Also, what works best for taking the tarnest out of finished silver, and cleaning engraved silver. Thank you all and have a superb day. Seth

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
What exactly are you starting with? If you are using mill fabricated sheet - I have almost never resorted to sanding unless I put a deep ding in the job, or it came into the shop with one to be removed.

90% of the time it's tripoli to Zam to green rouge in our 3 studios and the classroom.

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA USA
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I seems like there is always one big scratch on it when it comes from rio grande. On bracletts, the shear puts scratches on it, but I am going to try and sand and polish the blades and try to fix that. I like to round the edges and the ends, so it seems like I usually have to end up sanding the whole thing. It's not difficult with the belt sander, but it is time consuming.

El Dorado

once you get past the 800 grit sanding, tripoli then ZAM should work from there. This really should not take very long. Be sure to use the absolute best paper you can get, personally I suggest 3M products, plus change sanding direction 90 degrees with each grit change and absolute cleaning (ultrasonic if possible) after tripoli and after ZAM.

Last edited:

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you very much. I very new to this and this will help alot. I had to google tripoli and Zam just to find out what they are, and now I will get some coming, as I am sure it will help me out. Thanks a bunch!!

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Eastlope; Generally I finish the file work with a number 4 file, then hit the area with a Cratex wheel, then on to the Tripoli, then to Rouge, or Zam. I find that the Cratex, by going thru the medium, and fine wheels I can feather out any problems or dings.

El Dorado

Eastslope
Got to www.riogrande.com you will find many items you will need in that catalog. If you want a hardcopy of the catalog, don't order online because they want to charge, just give them a call and ask for the tools catalog, they will sent if for free. Loads of good stuff to drool over.

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
I stopped using tripoli over 20 years ago,i usually sand to 400 grit and then prefinish with white diamond and finish with water soluable red rouge. Tripoli is a grease based abrasive, same goes for most red rouge.

Latest posts

Sponsors