Critique Request Single Action Grips

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thats pretty special, and I am sure glad you shared that nice work with us. Thanks, Seth

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Tony,
Very original and very beautiful. And about as western as you can get. Really well done.

Stewart

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Tony!

Those are SWEET! Your inlay looks great here and the cactus concept really works. You really hit this one out of the park!

I'll stop in and say Hi the next time I make it to the Cowboy Capitol of the World.

Best,

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Totally awesome!!!! I really like the way you've incorporated so many things (scrolls, images) into really cool compositions!

-Katherine

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Tony,

Since the grips are different, I believe the grip with the most interest should be on the "money side" of the gun. That is, the skull should be on the left side. It's kinda minor but something to keep in the back of your mind for the next project.

You did ask for a "critique" ..... right?

Chris

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi chris

I'm not familiar with handgun terminology so I'm interested to know what exactley you mean by the "money side" of the gun .................and why the grip with the most interest should be on that side.

And does it apply to engraving as well?

Is it something do with the way it is viewed or photographed? Sort of like a handgun protocol?

Cheers
Andrew

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Andrew,

It doesn't necessarily pertain to engraving at all. Firearms are generally presented in their cases with the left side showing. That goes for double cased sets too. This is the side of the firearm that is seen while commonly holding it in the right hand or on the right shoulder.

As it pertains to engraving ... well, ... I've seen Smith & Wesson's and Colt Pythons etc. cased with the right side showing and maybe because the left has the cylinder latch leaving all the room for a scene or inlay on the right. (I'm thinking about one of Lynton McKenzie's S&Ws here)

If a custom knife "tells a story", it goes from front to back (left side to right side). Same goes for a firearm as well. One of my gun projects is being put together in this way and that was the way I was instructed to approach it.

Also ... traditionally, Colt grips were carved and usually with something that's been done over and over and over. I'm happy to see more scrimshaw being done which is why I like these grips. I just would have preferred to see the skull on the left side ....

Chris

btw ... looking back at my West Virginia theme Colt, I kinda wish I had put the black bear on the left grip and the brook trout fish on the right.

Last edited:

Tony Lopez

Thanks Chris

Thanks for the incite, and I see how that makes sense now. At the time of manifesting the "thought of" I wasn't thinking of it as and art piece.
Thanks again
T Lopez