spyderco cricket

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
this is a cricket I just did to try some tight scroll,thanks for looking
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db22b3127ccea86aff5808e800000016100AZuXDhmzct2MA

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Michaelp: Excellent layout and I have a few comments. If you bring the leaf line a little further back into the stem line, and parallel to it. You will get much more movement in the work. Also try and keep your leaf sizes consistent. I see a few "holes" in the design. It is very well done for a first attempt at small stuff. It is difficult to do nice round scrolls this small, but you have pulled it off nicely, and it looks very good.
I hope I am not stepping on your toes, but I think you might be surprised at how these little improvements will help. Have you tried the nick and dot border yet? This would set it off and tie it all together, but it is not necessary. You have a nice design here.
Ron S

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
everyone, thank you for the kind words.

Ron, I see what you mean, do you think some shading where the scrolls meet would give it some flow?

darcey, smooth cutting, just hard enough to give a nice curl,I cut most of it without resharpening

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Mike, some nice cutting there. I hope you won't object to me giving you a few pointers to help you improve your Fine English Scroll. This can also give some guidance to others who are thinking of attempting this style.

First, let's look again at your picture.

There are, as Ron points out, certain gaps in the design as at point a) for example. These should be filled with a leaf and shaded if large enough or cut away if on the small side.

b) English small scroll works best in panels of scroll. The scrolls should touch one another and not have unnecessary gaps. If, as sometimes happens, the scroll doesn't quite touch then the 'inside work' needs to be adjusted to fill the gap. If you fail to do this the design can look spidery and under filled.

c) Shade the scrolls at their growing point. This gives the scrolls character and makes them stand out from one another. Likewise, the head of every scroll needs to be shaded as they look unfinished without shading.

d) In Fine Scroll, every scroll should grow in the opposite direction to the one it grows from. At this point, this scroll is growing in the same direction as it's predecessor. This is a definite 'No, No' and as it's the only place it happens in your design I think it's down to a definite mistake (we're all human) rather than a misunderstanding of design.

e) Outside work grows from the scrolls just as scrolls do and it should be in proportion to the inside work.

I hope you don't mind me posting a picture, here, of a knife I engraved with small scroll which should illustrate these points.

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus, I was hoping you were out there. thank you for taking the time to critique . english scroll is what I enjoy and I welcome anything to help me get better at it. I'm doing a practice plate now using some input from Ron Smith and now I can add yours. I have so many questions about structure that I don't know where to start, nor will I bore you with it. I,m going to post the plate when I,m done and I hope you will critique again. It's a journey and every critique helps me get a little closer. Marcus thanks again-cheers

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are doing great Mike. These are just ideas that will refine your work and add a little more definition to it. You have good designing skills. You are getting it. You don't get there in a leap. Just keep digging.
Ron S

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I'd just like to reiterate Ron's words, you are doing great. You have an eye for design. I love to see engravers engraving English Small Scroll. Unfortunately, in recent years, a lot of the finesse of yesteryear has been lost and the pointers I've given you are, hopefully, to guide you towards this finesse. It's nice to see someone eager and open to constructive critique. If I can be of help in your endeavours don't be affraid to ask.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,
I was going to put my 2 cents worth in here but you already got advice from two of the best.
English scroll advice from Marcus is about as good as you can get even though they drive their cars on the wrong side of the road...
:)
You're doing really well! Now.... Let's see some nick and dot borders on something like I taught you!

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus and Ron thank you for the encouragement and critiques . or my practice plate I made some scroll flow mistakes but I,m going to finish it anyway and post it. next time I'm going to draw it out on paper first before I pick up the scribe.

Rex, this plate has nick and dot on it, how can something so simple be so difficult

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,
They are easy once you get the hang of it. Of course I suppose they say that about flying helicopters too...
Anyhow, it's a matter of rhythm. I still do a few practice cuts before I do it on a real item.
You'll get it.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, Marcus, and Ron,

These interactions are great value!

Mike your very clean work is a perfect canvas for us to understand the input by Ron and Marcus, and the three of you together assist me in looking anew at the details that need to come together in english scroll work.

Thank you!

Rod