Help, please: steel and brass die engraving prices

Deb Corisis

Hello Engravers!
I am not an engraver but please bear with me. I am the daughter of Melbourne Jensen who was an internationally known master steel and brass die engraver. He lived in Salt Lake City Utah where he did his engraving for years. I am happy to see that this art is still alive and well.
I have a sad story. My dad's brass and steel dies were stolen recently. Of course they have tremendous sentimental value for me, but I need to put a monetary value on these dies for legal purposes.
I am hoping one of you could give me an idea of the prices of steel and brass dies so I will have an educated amount to be able to mention. I will give you examples. My dad engraved dies to make commerative coins: he did the "Spirit of 1776 Commerative Bicentennial" coin, the "Seven Wonders of the World" coin to name a few. He also did the "Dedication for the Mount of Olives" just before he died in 1979. In addition to coin dies, he did lots of formal invitations like a 3 inch tall eagle on a brass die for embossed invitations. He also did a 4 inch high figure of the apostle Peter on a brass die.
If one or more of you want to help me out, I appreciate it. I wish I had some engraving equipment that I could help you out with but all of those tools including the panograph machine were sold or given to my dad's students. If you need more info, mention it in the answer you post. THANKS, Deb

Last edited:

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Deb,

The only person that I know that could give you a price is Bryan Bridges
Master engraver/die maker.

He has been doing this type of work for over 40 years..

Here his information. He most likely knows your father..

Bryan Bridges Engraving
Web-Pictures and info about Bryan

Tempe, Arizona
Phone: 480-345-7424
email: brysculp@gmail.com
More information about this school (click here)

Regards,
AirAmp

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm no authority at all. but there exists a possibility that some of his work may have historic or other significant value that may trace back to orriginal clientelle. that is something worth looking into i would think.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Deb,

You might try contacting one of the private mints like Northwest Territorial mint. They still employ hand engravers for their die work and they could give you an idea on the cost to produce dies like yo described.

Joe Paonessa

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Deb,
How may I help you? Sorry for not seeing this sooner. I've been pretty busy. Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors