Steel Rings for Engraving

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone here tried to engrave Tungsten Steel Rings? As Im a jeweler I have done almost all precios metal engravings... Im looking for a steel ring to engrave. Know any sources?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm not in the business of minding other peoples business, but you dont want to engrave tungsten. #1- tungsten isn't steel. i'd bet a small fortune that a ring made of tungsten would cost a large fortune. get some tubular steel. cut a slice off the end and clean it up. have some fun. just for practice even a piece of common water pipe might serve your need. that would be what some folks call low carbon or mild steel.
the stuff cuts easily.

monk

Staff member
tungsten steel rings

Has anyone here tried to engrave Tungsten Steel Rings? As Im a jeweler I have done almost all precios metal engravings... Im looking for a steel ring to engrave. Know any sources?

i thought you were meaning pure tungsten. tungsten carbide is engraveable only with diamond. you will find that it is harder than the cutters that you would normally use to embellish this stuff. i wouldn't wear a ring 24/7 made of this stuff. i'm curious why the industry is selling this stuff in the form of finger rings.

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
i thought you were meaning pure tungsten. tungsten carbide is engraveable only with diamond. you will find that it is harder than the cutters that you would normally use to embellish this stuff. i wouldn't wear a ring 24/7 made of this stuff. i'm curious why the industry is selling this stuff in the form of finger rings.

I did mean Tungsten Carbide....I assumed it was a steel. I really know very little about steel. I am curious why you wouldnt wear this stuff 24/7.

I know that some steel is very hard to engrave while others are more workable. I like to do relief engraving on rings which holds up well, but it doesnt take a lot of wearing to ruin the fine line shading. Im looking for a solution, i.e. Harder metal. Maybe Im barking up the wrong tree.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
The link below takes you to a chart that shows physical properties for different tungsten carbide tooling grades. All very very hard compared to the steels that are considered engravable.

http://www.basiccarbide.com/gchart.htm

You may want to consider engraving and then color case hardening a low carbon steel ring.

Gary

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
I would never recommend wearing a ring of tungsten carbide---it will pose a special risk. If you were to seriously injure a finger with a ring on it, that ring has to come off immediately or it will become a tourniquet. Some people use a side cutter to get the ring off, while a trip to the emergency room usually involves a specially protected steel sawblade either turned by hand or by a motor. None of these tools will even scratch the tungsten carbide. I would not want the liability of recommending such a ring to anybody.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
tungsten rings

I bought a few for my store on ebay(just search tungsten rings) some I bid on and got them for less than $15.00. I was shocked at the prices. $9.99 to $200.00 plus... WHY???
I have not tried to size them because the Co. I got them you can order any size you want.
Check this out on ebay(150112621549) this has gold inlay, just engrave the gold...
JL Seymour

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Most tungsten rings are made almost glass hard. The reason for this is in case it would get bent or stuck on the finger it would be very hard to remove. So they make them so if hit with a hammer they shatter.
Mike

monk

Staff member
tungsten steel rings

I did mean Tungsten Carbide....I assumed it was a steel. I really know very little about steel. I am curious why you wouldnt wear this stuff 24/7.

I know that some steel is very hard to engrave while others are more workable. I like to do relief engraving on rings which holds up well, but it doesnt take a lot of wearing to ruin the fine line shading. Im looking for a solution, i.e. Harder metal. Maybe Im barking up the wrong tree.

i've fooled with metals for a very long time. as an engraver, as a hobbyist, as a lab type. some of the exotic or rare metals imported from certain countries contain trace levels of radioactive contaminants. i can't say these rings do, but i have used scintillation "geiger" counters and you might be surprised where these jems will start cracklin. go to almost any mall and you will find kids jewelry made of relatively high levels of lead.
and besides all that, i don't like the thought of possibly wearing a recycled indexable bit on my finger !
hey, i'm old-fashioned- give me an m1911 a-1, or give me a louisville slugger !