Steve Adams nickel

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
I can't stop staring, it is mesmerizing. I would like to have the picture for my desktop.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
We have some super modern day coin carvers carving coins today and i,m amazed at the level they carve at, but speaking as a coin carver for over 11 year, Steve Adams is the master coin carver and is a very humble person who never brags about his work, the photos of his work speaks for itself..

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for pointing that auction out Ray, I might have missed it otherwise. That one is from about five years back. Sometimes a guy just has to forget about keeping a date and lettering when the design calls for it. This was a small art medal that just happened to be carved on a nickel. They probably should have shown a photo of the reverse. This carving does bring up an interesting point. Should a person always keep a date or Liberty? If I am doing a carving for my own enjoyment, then I could care less about dates and such. On the other hand, if the coin is to be marketed, I'd better keep the date. I feel keeping Liberty restricts the design sometimes, but am well aware that most collectors want it. I appreciate the collector who values the art as much as tradition, and is not afraid to sacrifice elements of the coin in order to get an artistic carving.